• Thread starter Thread starter viralbug
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,098

viralbug

tR0ll bUg
ISP
MTNL Triband 1333 2mbps night 1mbps day
i installed ubuntu 8.04 today on my external usb hard disk. :yahoo:the installation took less than half an hour and later it took me another half hour just to get wifi working properly, had to get the proper drivers. would have been faster, but downloading from the repositories takes so much time.i thought the system would be a bit slow or would atleast face occassional lags since its on usb. but i was amazed to see how fast it is. there are absolutely no lags. im running it on a HP laptop with full visual effects. dunno how compiz would work on the geforce go 6150, havent tried it yet.downloaded a few updates recently and it took so much time. it downloads at around 10 KBps, even low many times. :(im happy that it works well on my usb external hard disk. now i can carry around my OS. :D :yahoo:compiz working good. :D

ehehe cool

thats one thing i like about ubuntu.. the live cd feature and ease of installation on a external usb

i'd installed geexbox (with some movies/music/tv files) on my 8gb seagate usb mini hdd a few months ago - time to check for an update...

Not truly prtable though, because you have your MBR on your primary hard disk (I expect that you have at least 1 other operating system on your system). So you can't use it on another comupter just like that, as you won't be able to boot into it. Also as it is an installation, it has been configured according to your computer's hardware. I highly doubt that this installation would work without hiccups on another system, if you even manage to boot into it.

^ yes i do have another OS in the internal hard drive of the laptop. but while installation, i had removed the internal hard drive for this reason only, so it doesnt mess up with the MBR.i had installed ubuntu using a different laptop which has an intel proc, ati graphics whereas the laptop i am currently using has an amd proc with nvidia graphics. i had absolutely no problems, just plugged it in and its working great. :D

Some how I managed to see that when OS loads from internal HDD max data transfer never exceeds 4-5MB/s on laptop and when I connect external HDD it's around 8!!! that means it gets loaded from external HDD faster than from internal one:yahoo:I have used Leo on external disk and Hardy Heron too!!! Dual boot linux and Leo on external:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

^ thats strange. :Sbtw i have managed to crash to hardy heron installation. :pwell not exactly me, i guess its the OS itself which is not so stable.

no i think its you, not the OS :P

it turns out to be neither me nor the OS. :pits my stupid usb casing thats acting gay. :@ :@

Back