*Urgent* Recommend me a modem cum router !

ISP
Connect Broadband / bee ash en L Broadband
Please skip to post #9Hey guys,Today I got call from BSNL employee and he was asking RS.2100 for modem.I wanna know is that correct price for the modem they provide ? Which model it will be ? TP-Link?He was asking Rs.500 for security (WTF it is?, so they gonna provide me a securityman too or what? haha)So total will be RS.2100+500= Rs.2600.If you guys think they are overcharging me please let me know a this aftermarket router with built-in modem. I wanna make my old Netgear WNR1000V2(wifi only) as a repeater.Thanks!Regards ChairmanSaab

Yes. They are overcharging you.
There are soo many threads dedicated to buying a modem+router. Please have a look.

chromaniac said:
Just modem? Or combo solution with wireless router?
^^^ I think router( which stats for wireless I guess) with built-in modem is more appropriate wording. Nevermind buddie I want combo solution as you call it.Thanks!PS: I found D-Link DSL-2750U on flipkart. Is that any good? Any better option? I am planning to use my retro Netgear as repeater if possible.

Lol 500 is not for security guard chairmansaab! It is rather for what they call Security Deposit or they'll claim Installation Charges or something else as long as that 500 gets added to the bill! :DBut well to tell you the truth I haven't received mine back yet after returning my modem in June 2012 so you might as well get your modem from Outside and just say I want only the net connection :P Yep you can use your router as repeater I guess with that.D-Link DSL-2750U is the best bet and the only other option with the same features was a TP-Link W8968 the last time I checked. I have the D-Link 2750U like some others on the forum do, and well, if BSNL line is good, it works stable. But I've noticed it getting stuck from time to time and needing a restart(not reset). Sometimes pulling out and plugging back the dsl line after a minute helps too.If you don't hear any racket/crackling on your phone line and the net is still troublesome place a call to BSNL and check if there's an issue on their side(which they usually never admit). If all other criteria are positive and the modem alone is disconnecting try to return ASAP for a replacement and check if the problem is solved. Just a heads up just in case. Cheers.

Thanks a alot for informative post buddie. You have any link where I could find it cheaper?I'd like D-Link. Just want to confirm if anyone is able to use Netgear WGR614V11 OR WNR1000V2( lol I dunno what the heck is wrong with my router name!) as repeater? Since both D-LINK and my netgear don't have WDS , how I would be able to use repeater mode? DD-wrt?Oh, so that security deposit is related to modem/router? It means I don't need to shell out Rs.500? If so thats great! I am wondering do they have any installations cost? I mean thay guy was asking me Rs.2600 for modem + security only*. So I assume only monthly rental is left ? I am missing something here?

Yep that's kinda confusing to me too because usually security deposit was first collected when you received a modem on RENTAL from BSNL without shelling the full cash, whereas I think, or rather, they are asking you to BUY the modem from them no, then why deposit?! Trust me bro, BSNL and Bills and Cash/Refunds are a real mix up sometimes. Is this a new connection? If it is, then they WILL somehow get that 500 in as some cost (Registration/Installation) as I mentioned, if not immediately, then in the first bill.Be very careful with BSNL's wordings and ads! They'll have big posters of NO REGISTRATION, NO INSTALLATION CHARGES! Then say no that meant not immediately payable, but payable in FIRST BILL! Dafuq?! Later, bills usually only come with Broadband Charges, Call Charges and Tax since no modem rental when you get your own modem!I have got an EVDO modem from them first when it came out and they had the cost mentioned as 2100 whereas they collected 3500, yes with the Rs 2100 poster right behind them! Plus the first bill came with 1k more quoting deposit and installation charges! Installation Charges of WHAT?! Best part is they had a big arse 3G icon on the EVDO box, but later on down the line you come to know that it is NOT and they wouldn't exchange it either! :|For my modem part when I was taking my connection BSNL had offer as, you pay security deposit and pay rental, and if you use for more than a year the modem becomes yours and the rental turns into discounted in bill. Whereas the modem became defective, they REFUSED to give replacement stating NO STOCK. I returned the modem and DID NOT RECEIVE the Deposit to date! So they can sometimes really get on your freakin' nerves!Not sure of any link with cheaper price, but then did you try your local electronics market and see if it is cheaper than the price quoted by FK? For the repeater mode not a big deal about the WPS button, since the modem/router login pages will have settings to choose the same, I think along the lines of Bridge mode or Repeater mode. Search around for links on how to do so bro, or probably the manual itself might have them. I am sure there are some tutorials around, probably even on youtube. Sorry if I ain't being helpful enough. :(All the Best on your hunt and hope your setup is not a PITA and wish you smooth sailing/surfing ahead. Cheers and Take Care.

DAMN! I was watching youtube reviews about Dl-link 2750U, I was shocked when I saw that horrible GUI ! ITS UGLY! (sorry for caps, it has to be done). It is similar to my 7 year old atrie modem provided by Connect Broadband. I was very disappointed.I began searching today about other alternatives, I have found a TP-Link model W8968 and Asus Dsl-n10e.Features I am primarily looking for are as the following.:-Budget- Around Rs.2500WDS, WPS supportLong wifi range (My house is exactly 5400 Square feet)Port forwardingMac address spoofingNo drop-outs!Load balancer if possible?DD WRT support perhaps?I'd like Asus cause it has 5dbi atteana which may boost range!Oh, and I wanna use my WNR1000V2 as a repeater! (Lol I know I said this numerous times).Please help !!Thanks!Mods:-Should I post a new thread?

Okay guys, technician is comming on monday for installation of wires, etc. So, please take a moment and recommend me a Modem cum router ( I hope it is correct name). I saw lots of review about DL-LINK 2750U and It seems to have loads of features. Whoever has own one in the fprum please let me know your experience with the same. How is the range? I heard it drops signal frequently?Please write a review about it!Thanke!PS: Please share your experience about any other router (ADSL) that you have owned.

Back