USB or Ethernet

• Thread starter Thread starter Raptor
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,034

Raptor

Regular
I have two options of connecting my modem, either thru USB or thru ethernet(presently it is connected thru ethernet). Can u tell me what are the pros and cons of each. On which one should I connect?

Neither is better, unless you have some advanced needs......One slight pro or con, depending on how you take it, of the USB connection is that you have to use a dial-up kind of interface to "dial" to connect the internet.... it only takes 3 seconds, and you can just set it up so that it dials it automatically when your computer/browser starts...... it can be nice if you want/need to connect/disconnect your connection often (e.g. when you are dealing with spyware), but can be a hassle if you so wish....p.s. this is all assuming that the ethernet connection doesn't have that aspect.. I could be wrong.

Go with ethernet port.Its faster, More reliable, and takes up lesser system resources. Also it frees up a USB port. thats a major advantage for some like me since i got loads of devices connected to my computer.

Originally posted by vebmetal@Oct 28 2005, 02:28 PM
Neither is better, unless you have some advanced needs......
One slight pro or con, depending on how you take it, of the USB connection is that you have to use a dial-up kind of interface to "dial" to connect the internet.... it only takes 3 seconds, and you can just set  it up so that it dials it automatically when your computer/browser starts...... it can be nice if you want/need to connect/disconnect your connection often (e.g. when you are dealing with spyware), but can be a hassle if you so wish....

p.s. this is all assuming that the ethernet connection doesn't have that aspect.. I could be wrong.
[snapback]29815[/snapback]
[/quote] Ethernet is definately best ,as USB is a resourse hog it adds an extra drive to your windows and consumes memory.Its also a lot slower and crashes very often.only few Linux systems can recognise USB thats added problem ,but with ethernet you can use both dial up (bridged mode )and direct on linux.

Ethernet can also be used like a dialup same as USB ,in bridging mode ,and if you dont use ypur computer as a server(P2P applications) setting up FTP then ,use it directly (non bridged) as extremly less virus attacks as your computer is not directly connected to net and its your modem which is identified by the net.

Long story cut short ,you can use Ethernet modem in any way but not USB modem

I don't think that having a USB or ethernet connection makes a difference to your speed... unless you have a connection that is faster than 12Mbps and you only have USB 1.1.....and as far as "USB is a resourse hog it adds an extra drive to your windows" goes, ummm, extra drive??? It may use mroe memory, but I would think that amount is very insignificant.....anyway all in all, who cares?

I recommend using the ethernet port lest you need your computer's NIC for something else. Ethernet connections are the defacto standard. You wont face any probz with that. Can't say that for the USB connection... Besides USB connection requires an extra driver to be installed with sucks!

Easily Ethernet. First up, no drivers need to be installed. This makes things ALOT less complicated. Secondly, Ethernet is 100mbps so is easily enough speed for an adsl connection, and will remain so for a long long time. USB 1.1 is alot slower than this. Thirdly, Ethernet doesn't draw power from your PC, whereas the USB modems typically draw a current from your PC to power them.

Which in a way is a great thing.. the fact that USB modems don't need an extra power adapter.... firstly, the obvious - it reduces the clutter and the need for an extra power socket. Secondly, in case you cannot have your modem hooked up to a UPS or your home inverter, then you wold lose your internet connection when the bijli goes!! (however, admittedly, the 220bx does not have the ability to run on USB power AFAIK).

Back