Using Two Broadband Connections Simultaneously

• Thread starter Thread starter jaypee307
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,872
If I were to use the two connections alternatively (one at a time), all I have to do is switch on one modem and switch off the other modem? Asianet speed is slightly better than BSNL; I need total 5gb normal usage per month also. So I wish to try out both connections. All I need to switch between the connections is to switch the modems on and off?

In view of the responses indicating the complications of using two connections simultaneously, I don't intend to use as such; I plan only alternate use.

thanking you,
Jose.

If I were to use the two connections alternatively (one at a time), all I have to do is switch on one modem and switch off the other modem? Asianet speed is slightly better than BSNL; I need total 5gb normal usage per month also. So I wish to try out both connections. All I need to switch between the connections is to switch the modems on and off?

In view of the responses indicating the complications of using two connections simultaneously, I don't intend to use as such; I plan only alternate use.

thanking you,
Jose.

Alternate is easy - unplug one, plug the other back in. The computer won't know the difference so long as the service is up. No worries there.

Alternate is easy - unplug one, plug the other back in. The computer won't know the difference so long as the service is up. No worries there.

mgcarley, thanks for the reply. When I use the two Broadband connections alternatively, all I need is to switch the modems on and off? Will the connection available through the switched on modem taken as "default"? Is there any need to assign default network connection when changing from one connection to another?

Thanking you,
Jose.

mgcarley, thanks for the reply. When I use the two Broadband connections alternatively, all I need is to switch the modems on and off? Will the connection available through the switched on modem taken as "default"? Is there any need to assign default network connection when changing from one connection to another?

Thanking you,
Jose.

Presumably since BSNL will be provided by ADSL and AsiaNet will provide via cable, so you will undoubtedly have two modems.

Assuming that there are no nuances to either connection and that the modems take care of the connection (username/pwd is stored in the modem and when you turn it on it automatically establishes the link, rather than using a dialup connection from your PC), just make sure your network connection in your OS is set to DHCP, then switch off whichever modem you're not using, and then just change the ethernet cable in your computer from the BSNL modem to the AsiaNet modem or vice-versa.

Ahhh India. Nowhere else on earth do you have to do anything this silly :D

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Just had a thought: this software might help with "link load balancing" - that is, using 2 connections simultaneously: Kerio Control | Kerio

It used to be fairly good back in the day - last I used it was around 2004, but I don't think it had this feature at that time.

Presumably since BSNL will be provided by ADSL and AsiaNet will provide via cable, so you will undoubtedly have two modems.

Assuming that there are no nuances to either connection and that the modems take care of the connection (username/pwd is stored in the modem and when you turn it on it automatically establishes the link, rather than using a dialup connection from your PC), just make sure your network connection in your OS is set to DHCP, then switch off whichever modem you're not using, and then just change the ethernet cable in your computer from the BSNL modem to the AsiaNet modem or vice-versa.

Hi mgcarley, presently I am using static IP address and default gateway. If I select dynamic IP address will it affect the BSNL connection? In the BSNL broadband set up instructions static IP address is given. Is there any problem in switching to Dynamic setting?

Hi mgcarley, presently I am using static IP address and default gateway. If I select dynamic IP address will it affect the BSNL connection? In the BSNL broadband set up instructions static IP address is given. Is there any problem in switching to Dynamic setting?

Using the static address will probably cause AsiaNet not to work - presumably BSNL has assigned you some public IP address (like 111.222.123.234) rather than a private one that connects you to the modem (192.168.0.2).

In which case, maybe the best idea is to set that IP address in to the BSNL modem (if possible) so that your system will just pick up the correct address when you switch between the two, since this is probably one of the ways they authenticate.

Back