VoIP over Wi-Fi in Bridge Mode

• Thread starter Thread starter tr1k0N4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,618
What have you been unable to?
configure static route for the VOIP VRF and done.
I am able to access it over WiFi no problem.
Even via a wireguard tunnel it works

@albonycal r u able to do it without the airtel provided ont+router?

@albonycal that's the problem mate. Neither our ONTs (not provided by airtel) nor our routers support creating multiple WAN profiles. Only thing our router can do is to bridge the VoIP data. If we want to route the VoIP traffic then we lose the internet. We are unable to route both traffic at the same time. You can't create a static route for bridged traffic right?

@trikona do you have a spare router? If yes, then can you try routing the VoIP traffic through that spare router? Dumb ONT + Router for internet and bridged VoIP + Router for VoIP.... that should work

@gmaster, I don't have any spare router with me currently, otherwise I could have had a stab at it.

Having said that, I see an option called secondary connection when I select WAN type as PPPoE, I'm curious as to what it does, any clue?
PPPoE secondary connection
I tried googling it but couldn't find anything of substance.

Also, what TP-Link ONT are you using?

@trikona some ISPs abroad offer additional services (like access to their own entertainment portal) by assigning additional IP address to a single PPPoE session. That's the secondary connection thing. Doesn't work with airtel.

My ont is XZ000-G3 V2

Oh I see! That's all I could find as well upon googling.
I was thinking that somehow, we could use this secondary connection with Static IP option and set it to the VoIP IP address but then I noticed that there's no option to set the gateway in this option. Even though I'm skeptical, will try this anyway tonight.

PS: I was able to make and receive calls on my Android when connected to my properly-configured, unlocked Nokia ONT's Wi-Fi.

Yes Nokia ONT can route VoIP and Internet simultaneously or can bridge any one / both. But TP-Link can only route one traffic and bridge another one. If you route VoIP, you can bridge the internet to another router. Or you can route the internet and bridge the VoIP to another router, which can further route it wired / wirelessly.

@trikona Secondary connection is to access modem interface in bridge mode.
I bought Chinese lb-link xpon as my isp bsnl didn't provide ont. It has routing capabilities but no wifi.
I tried setting up VoIP profiles myself and failed multiple times. Also modem doesn't not have Qos features which my TP-Link wifi router have.
In the end i can set up both internet and VoIP on ont and use my tp link in access point mode to access both services on wifi.
Static route is added in ont, which can be found under forwarding rules. But i wanted to use qos features too. So i have to set-up ont in bridge mode and tp-link in router mode.
In this current setup i myself couldn't figure out, how to use VoIP over wifi and add static routes to use zoiper in phone or laptop.

If you want to use voip over wifi you can setup your tp-link in access point mode and create two separate profiles for internet and voice in your GPON terminal.

@bnee My GPON terminal doesn't allow creation of two profiles with the current firmware, so maybe, we'll wait and see if TP-Link enables this functionality in a future update, if there's any lol

Back