weird 6AM disconnection problem

• Thread starter Thread starter doom_rider
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,559

doom_rider

ISP
MTNL
hi guys,i have been using this forum for quite a while...i was using PPPoE but then for faster torrents, switched to bridge..i liked bridge since its easier to automate connect/disconnect and no need to reboot router..also easy to work around link-removed :)However, theres a peculiar problem am facing in bridge mode...My connection automatically disconnects anytime between 6 to 6:30 am in the morning...and after that even though my scheduled job reconnects, am not able to establish any connections, not browse etc. the dialer connects and disconnects, if done so, each time assigning a new IP which means it is able to connect to MTNL server...however, i cant ping the same server, or any other site...the problem is resolved only when i reboot my PC...disabling/enabling the LAN doesnt help...am forced to believe something happens to the TCP/IP which gets reset on a reboot...but i dont know what and why...this doesnt occur in PPPoE mode...any of you faced something similar? any solution other than restart so i can automate and dont lose 2 hours of download time?any help appreciatedthanks

I think there is some sort of option in the DHCP settings called Leased Time or something like that... usually it is 24 hours by default. Try increasing it, and see if the problem recurs.

yes there is leased time option in LAN DHCP settingsjust turn off DHCP and manually assign the IP address in LAN> TCP/IP options on the computer should let you over come the problem.

thanks 4 the reply guys..there are two parts to suggestions - 1) Alter the DHCP lease time change - Checked the LAN config on the router and the lease time in DHCP server setting was 3600 secs i.e. 1 hour..changed it to 24 hours (86400 secs)2) Disabling DHCP: Now this has to be done on PC or router?Since on my PC LAN properties, TCP/IP props, i have the static ip of 192.168.1.3 in the alternate config that PC uses to connect to router. and when i dial the connection(bridge mode), i get another IP on the mtnl network directly..modem is just a bridge here right...

DHCP turn of has to be done in router LAN settings.If you have a static IP in you computers TCP/IP settings you dont need DHCP of the router.So disable DHCP in modem.:)

hi folks,thanks for ur replies again...i could not find the second option yest night(disabling DHCP for router), however, the lease time option was changed by me. Still, the same problem occured this morning.Lets see if the DHCP helps tonight.But, the problem here, i guess, is not with the modem since i do not at al touch or restart the modem to resolve the problem. A simple PC reboot solves the problem of no-connectivity. Modem is on all the time. Cheers

MTNL automatically disconnects connection every 6hrs. so if u start at 12:05 it wud be d/c automatically at 6:05

thats not the problem here....i got automated script to connect back..and it does connect back...the problem is, nothing can be pinged, nothing can be browsed unless the PC is restarted(modem remains switched on..just pc reboot needed)cuz even in the PPPoE mode, it reconnects on its own and is browsable even if MTNL disconnects at 6am...

then its ur script or firewall or routing problem.

Back