Western Digital external hard drive problem

• Thread starter Thread starter chapke
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 2,214
I have a WD 500GB external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working. When I plug the USB cable in, Windows recognizes that the device is there, and says that it has installed the approapriate software for the device and it is ready to use. However, the drive does not appear in My Computer. Also, I have right-clicked on my computer and then the Manage option, and under Disk Management, I do not see the drive. I have all of my sports games and music on the drive. I just need some help on how to solve this problem.

Hello Chapke,

I am glad to help you out. Based on your post, it may be a driver or path issue. I’d suggest you some basic troubleshooting steps. It may help you to solve the issue..

Option 1: Check and update drivers in device manager.

If the HDD appear in device manager. So please follow the below steps to update the drivers.
  • Open the Control Panel.
  • Select Device Manager .
  • In the Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial bus controllers".
  • Right click on your 3 or 4 controller and select Properties.
  • In the new Tab, click on the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver". Then select "Search automatically".
  • Restart your computer and try to access the HDD again.

Option 2 :
  • Try to connect with different USB ports with the same computer.
  • Change the USB cable (USB 3.0).
  • Try a different disk to make sure that the problem is with the computer and not with the original disk.

If you still face the problem, Please run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in your system.

Please refer to the link below for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows .

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
hi dkWD,

I have same issue with my drive. I try all steps you mention.
but still my hdd is not working. I have 1 more issue, when I connect hdd there is lot of sound like grinding
my hdd still has 1 month warranty. plz suggest.

Hi Pawan54,

I am sorry to hear about it. Based on your post, it may be a hardware issue. I’d like to check with you, is there any error message when you connected the HDD? You may refer to the link below that helps to identify if the noise or sound is normal.

How to tell if the noise or sound the drive is making is normal.

If the sound is abnormal, and your product is under warranty, you may proceed for RMA.

Please check the warranty and RMA services at the link below.

WD Support / Warranty & RMA Services.

For more information about warranty support, you may visit to WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations .

Hope it helps.

Hi Pawan54,

I am sorry to hear about it. Based on your post, it may be a hardware issue. I’d like to check with you, is there any error message when you connected the HDD? You may refer to the link below that helps to identify if the noise or sound is normal.

How to tell if the noise or sound the drive is making is normal.

If the sound is abnormal, and your product is under warranty, you may proceed for RMA.

Please check the warranty and RMA services at the link below.

WD Support / Warranty & RMA Services.

For more information about warranty support, you may visit to WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations .

Hope it helps.

thank you for help.
your link is really helpful. I already proceed for RMA.
1 more thing is there any way to recover my data?

Hi Pawan54,

I am sorry to hear about it. For data recovery, you can try the data recover software’s. If the data is very important and you want to recover it, there is possibility to cover by data recovery companies.

Here is a link for data recovery companies.

support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en .

Hope it helps.

plz help me out.. i have 1 tb portable new wd passport hard disk... whenever i connect to my pc, it gives me error format disk.. i cancelled formatted dialogue box always and i m trying to recover my data back, it just show the drive in my computer but i cant able to open it...

plz help me out.. i have 1 tb portable new wd passport hard disk... whenever i connect to my pc, it gives me error format disk.. i cancelled formatted dialogue box always and i m trying to recover my data back, it just show the drive in my computer but i cant able to open it...

Hi pawan54,

I am glad to help you out. Based on your post, I'd like to check with you, have you tried to connect the HDD to another PC? Is it working ok from the existing PC? If yes, please backup your existing data. Did you run the antivirus scan recently for the PC? Can you see the HDD used space in “Properties”? Could you give me some details about that? For the meantime, I'd suggest you some basic troubleshooting steps that may help you to solve the issue.

1) Go into Disk Management and in the bottom-right panel look for a ribbon which labelled as RAW and has no drive name.
2) Right-click on that & choose Change Drive Letter and Path.
3) Click Add and accept the default letter or choose preferred letter from the list.
4) Click OK.

For data recovery, you can try the data recovery softwares.

Hope it helps.

Hi pawan54,

I am glad to help you out. Based on your post, I'd like to check with you, have you tried to connect the HDD to another PC? Is it working ok from the existing PC? If yes, please backup your existing data. Did you run the antivirus scan recently for the PC? Can you see the HDD used space in “Properties”? Could you give me some details about that? For the meantime, I'd suggest you some basic troubleshooting steps that may help you to solve the issue.

1) Go into Disk Management and in the bottom-right panel look for a ribbon which labelled as RAW and has no drive name.
2) Right-click on that & choose Change Drive Letter and Path.
3) Click Add and accept the default letter or choose preferred letter from the list.
4) Click OK.

For data recovery, you can try the data recovery softwares.

Hope it helps.
Hi DKWD
I am sure, Its not because of virus. I have paid antivirus and for safe end; I already tried in different PC and your steps. Still i am facing problem? The drive is in disk management in raw form; unable to do anything on it.

Back