When will BSNL offer 1 Gbps speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 60
  • Views Views 14,735
Some good usage of 1 gbps examples... downloading game contents (50 GB, 100 GB etc) in minutes instead of hours.

For someone like me, downloading software (linux ISOs) which are around 2 GB will take seconds instead of minutes.

Basically, there was a huge leap for me going from 4-8 mbps ADSL to 100 mbps FTTH :D now similar another huge leap if I get 1 gbps speed.
No doubt 1Gbps is desirable and will be needed eventually. So it is good when the ISPs prepare for it and start making it available. Just like 100Mbps would have been considered overkill say 5 years ago but is common now, similarly 1Gbps might become common in another 5 years time.
Having said that, currently there is no real case use scenario for a home user needing a 1Gbps connection. The leap from 100Mbps to 1Gbps is not that big. Most servers don't provide anywhere near that sort of download speed. WiFi doesn't easily allow you to download anywhere near that speed. The difference in a download completed in 20 seconds vs. 5 is insignificant. Unless you are running a buisness where you need to download and upload very large files frequently or have a large bunch of teenagers streaming 4k and downloading at the same time, you would not see much benefit from such speeds over 100Mbps. Still, early adopters lead to technology improvement.

My take on 1 Gbps for home use is that unless you have a really big family with a large number of devices, multiple simultaneous streams etc, it is gonna be really hard to saturate that link. I had a 1 Gbps connection with Spectra earlier and now I am on a 250 Mbps plan, and honestly I notice no difference. ;)
If you're a gamer, 1 Gbps is going to be saturated when you're busy downloading tons of 100s of GBs of games.

Even if you're not, 1 Gbps can be saturated for downloads. Average app sizes are 100 MB+ these days.1 Gbps = 125 MBps. That would really be awesome.

WiFi doesn't easily allow you to download anywhere near that speed.
What?

You know Wi-Fi 5 aka 802.11ac has always been able to give gigabit+ bandwidth, right?

Now we have Wi-Fi 6 aka 802.11ax. Wi-Fi 6 has the base speed of 1.2Gbps.

If your router and client device is Wi-Fi 6 certified. 1 Gbps minimum wireless bandwidth is basically a guarantee if the range is decent and there's no bottlenecking.

Well atleast they should upgrade their 50 mbps plans to 100 mbps . 100 mbps is enough for a normal household .

I would be happy if they give affordable 50mbps(less than 700) with uniform speed and remove all the malware in their system

I would say 1 gbps is overkill for now unless u have lot of devices consuming lot of bandwidth. But in coming years it may become useful because of streaming ultra high definition videos (8K and so on) and downloading games which will be like 150-200 GB in future

@Nitin Games are 90GB+ in the present already.

Back