Which modem to buy?

• Thread starter Thread starter soumik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 3,819

soumik

ISP
BSNL
Hi,I had been speculating on buying D-Link GLB502T for my BSNL BB connection, when I saw that it had serious heating issues. Now I'm confused which modem to buy. Please suggest.

Well i have GLB502T, it does heat up like all other devices:), no issues there. The only thing is that my friend who got the huawai modem from the BSNL gets more speed when downloading through browser like from link-removed type sites(nearly double my speed :( ). But when we download from any download manager we get the same speed(200-220kB/s) . I checked the MTU for both of us, mine had the standard value 1492 but his was a lesser 1400. i noticed this with some of the other guys who had a BSNL modem but had a different lesser value than mine. It seems that the BSNL modems automatically adjusts the MTU for them. The lower MTU value gives fast response but not high transfer rate. So the optimum MTU value is automatically adjusted in the BSNL modems, which makes them faster when downloading from browser.So BSNL modems have a slight advantage over others, other than that rest are the same.

I'm having an Intex LAN card(Chipset is Silan SC92031, but advertised as Realtek RTL8139D) with a UTStarcom WA3002-g1 router(provided by BSNL). But while downloading torrents, my connection suddenly drops almost every 10 mins(whenever I connect to many peers):((screenshot:http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=utorrentps8.jpg). After searching and querying the µTorrent forum, (see the last post)I narrowed down to two components. Either my router can't handle much connections, or my NIC, (which is really a low grade one) cannot handle such connections. So now I'm looking for an alternative USB modem.(Dad would get angry when I'd tell him to buy a new NIC):P

I'm having an Intex LAN card(Chipset is Silan SC92031, but advertised as Realtek RTL8139D) with a UTStarcom WA3002-g1 router(provided by BSNL). But while downloading torrents, my connection suddenly drops almost every 10 mins(whenever I connect to many peers):((screenshot:http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1336/utorrentps8.th.jpg). After searching and querying the µTorrent forum, (see the last post)I narrowed down to two components. Either my router can't handle much connections, or my NIC, (which is really a low grade one) cannot handle such connections. So now I'm looking for an alternative USB modem.(Dad would get angry when I'd tell him to buy a new NIC):P

Just curious, did you patch the tcp/ip?

Yeah I patched the tcpip.sys with the LVLord patch and increased the max half-open connections to 50. So is the problem with the NIC? SHould I buy a D-Link NIC?

Yeah I patched the tcpip.sys with the LVLord patch and increased the max half-open connections to 50. So is the problem with the NIC? SHould I buy a D-Link NIC?

try increasing the half open connections to 100. Also set the same value in the utorrent->preference->advanced section.

I'm having an Intex LAN card(Chipset is Silan SC92031, but advertised as Realtek RTL8139D) with a UTStarcom WA3002-g1 router(provided by BSNL). But while downloading torrents, my connection suddenly drops almost every 10 mins(whenever I connect to many peers):((screenshot:http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1336/utorrentps8.th.jpg). After searching and querying the µTorrent forum, (see the last post)I narrowed down to two components. Either my router can't handle much connections, or my NIC, (which is really a low grade one) cannot handle such connections. So now I'm looking for an alternative USB modem.(Dad would get angry when I'd tell him to buy a new NIC):P

Dear Soumik,

I also have buy the same NIC, but not having any problem with it. I am using Ubuntu 7.04 (a Linux distro) and it is working perfectly all right with dataone UT-300R2U modem.
So, I think there should not be any problem with NIC, look for other things....

Dear Soumik,

I also have buy the same NIC, but not having any problem with it. I am using Ubuntu 7.04 (a Linux distro) and it is working perfectly all right with dataone UT-300R2U modem.
So, I think there should not be any problem with NIC, look for other things....

What, no hangups using the Intex card?!!! Then how will I solve this problem? I tried everything, everything that one can think of. I queried every forum that I could find, but no use. Sigh, I think downloading torrents is not in my luck.:(
Anyway, thank you all for replying.

Soumik,

Yes I also have the same problem as you have, If you can just look into my posts in other sticky threads for linux. Ethernet got disconnected every 10 minutes or something like after 50mb of downloading... but this is due to the hardware conflict.. there is no compatible driver for linux 2.6.x, thats why...

after I have successfully installed hardware drivers for xp using ndiswrapper(linux program that use the xp drivers for linux) there is not any problem.

If you are on windows xp then there should not be any problem the driver installation. But you can still try to install it again. May be look if there is any conflicts in any irq?? I think this issue is due to driver compatibility.

So, you should try to install your driver again!!! may be this will work for you, atleast give it a try.

In linux I use "dmesg" command to see if there is any conflicts in hardware, don't know what to look in windows for that..

Look at my post in this thread having the same problem as you have

https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/6776-people-who-post-problem-linux-bsnl-networking/

Hope this helps..

Back