Zee Dish TV DTH: Plasma TV Aspect Ratio problem!

• Thread starter Thread starter Amuthan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 9,352

Amuthan

US Broadband rox!
ISP
Airtel Broadband - 512 Kbps NU (India) + Comcast 50 Mbps
Hi guyz, Eventually I bought 3 Dish TV connections for my house under a ridiculous scheme. The first box is free for 6 months and after that I pay Rs.300 and the second and third boxes are free for 12 months after which I pay Rs.100 for each. So apart from that I bought a new Samsung PS42-C9S and a 26" Bordeaux Art LCD for my Bedroom. The problem is that all the channels appear stretched. I have the Dish TV Kaon STB and the Dish TV Distributor had updated to the latest firmware upon installation. I love the clarity of signals and choice of channels but sometimes the channels when telecasted on a 4:3 ratio appear stretched and the Zoom function of the TV is not that worth cause it results in some clipping along the edges. There is an option in the STB menu to change aspect ratio from Standard or Widescreen. Tried that but in vain! :( Any ideas guyz???

i guess you have no option but to wait for them to wake up to the reality that people here would and are upgrading the bigger television sets with wider screens.

Any video/dvd/tv transmission made with a specific aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) must be viewed with the same aspect ratio. Else the picture will be distorted or clipped. Another complication: what will happen to the movies made with aspect ratios of 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. Distortion is upsettingly visible in demos shown in shops.

There should be an option in the tv settings to maintain the original aspect ratio of the input. Go through the manual and see if you find anythin on this. That'll display the feed with black bars on the left & right in case of 4:3 feeds and top & bottom for widescreen movies with 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 aspect ratios.

Unfortunately them are the breaks. This is the tragic downside of going widescreen in India. You have to watch your TV stretched. The only other alternative is to watch it with those bars on either side of the picture, thereby essentially turning your 26" widescreen TV into a normal 21" TV.

Exactly... thts wht is happening! I am watching my picture stretched! :mad:

Well, if u r using the Samsung Bordeaux LCD TV 26", Model No. LA26R71B, then u can change your TV Screen Aspect Ratio to 4:3 from 16:9 by pressing the BLUE button on your TV Remote Control (located at the bottom side) and cycle it any time. for more info read the Manual.Good luck........

Well I did that... but its not that good. I keep getting this black space around the movie area. I mean I want the broadcasting to be done in 16:9 for LCD TV viewers. Well that's okay now since we got used to watching stretched faces... :D

Well I did that... but its not that good. I keep getting this black space around the movie area. I mean I want the broadcasting to be done in 16:9 for LCD TV viewers. Well that's okay now since we got used to watching stretched faces... :D

We all do have to wait (don't know how long!) then.........

Widescreen High Defination capable (1080i/1080p) TV's are horrible for watching Standard Defination (SD) material. Even in 4:3 mode the TV's processor has to convert the material to fit the higher resolution screen, resulting in various artifacts. Add to that the fact LCD have below average colour, contrast and viewing angle compared to CRT.Stick to a high quality 100Hz CRT TV for now.

Back