• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh_g
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 6,572

saurabh_g

Regulars
ISP
TATA, Airtel
Well i came across a few article in magzines on MPEG 2 amd MPEG 4 where it has been said that both the technologies MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 will have same picture quality and their is no difference in the picture quality. As we have seen dishtv is using MPEG2 and all new compititors will coming up with MPEG 4 and saying that they have better picture quality as they were using MPEG 4 not its not the truth. Mpeg 4 helps only to the broadcasters as by using this technology one can accomodate more no of channels on their platform. And other thing is that with the implementation of MPEG 4 technology the cost of STB 's are going up and become more costlier. So ultimately what happens is Consumer ends up by paying more or its just an extra burden of money on all consumer for the same quality as with MPEG 2. Moral of the information is: 1. Picture quality IS SAME IN BOTH mpeg 2 AND mpeg 4. 2. Cost of MPEG4 stb is much higher then MPEG2 and puts up an extra burden of money on end consumers. 3. MPEG 4 is just a compression technique and by using this only broacster is benefitted by accomodating more channels on their platform.

Thanks for the info. And yes its true. But i guess everyone is aware of it, as i am.

Yes, its true info.Lets see at how much cost ADAG intoduce the BIG TV with MPEG-4 tech.I think it will be costlier than Dish TV. :)

MPEG-4 hardware is bit costlier currently, later once MPEG-4 hardware is available in bulk costs may reduce (as it happened with PC's)

Typical chinese prices: $50 for entry level STB, $90 for HD STB, $200 for STB-Recorder. Bulk prices may 30% less than this.

well MPEG2 and MPEG4 are compression technology. the final picture u see is uncompressed version which wud obviously be same in both case.

guys I have one doubt, like Mpeg2 Mpeg4 compression, is there any possibility of avi compression ?

avi is actually a container of audio stream and video stream and each stream can be further be in compressed form, using any compression algorithm (divx, mpg2).avi format mostly keeps audio and video sync

@asd avi is just a container and not a compression technique. you can have mpeg-4 compression in an avi container, an example would be the xvid avi format which is mpeg-4 compression inside an avi container.

oh okie..avi is just a format right... so there are only two compressions possible mpeg2 and mpeg4 ...

Back