Zee Dish TV DTH: Same picture quality through both MPEG-2 & MPEG-4

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh_g
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 6,572
I think this is applicable to both MPEG 2 technology as well as MPEG 4 technology too......... I think big tv or airtel dth and Sun direct are using MPEG 4 technology and i believe each one of them are holding only 6 - 7 tranponders only........correct me if i am wrong

If u look at the satcodx site u can see the bandwidth available for each channel by the different operators. Dish and Tata are using more bandwidth because they're using mpeg2.Sun and Big are using lower bandwidth because of the superior compression of mpeg4. If you compare between sun and big, u can see that big tv should be having theoretically better picture quality overall than sun because bandwidth is average 1 Mbps for each channel while sun is ranging from 0.3 to 2 Mbps :confused:.If big or sun were to use the same bandwidth as dish or tata, i.e., 2 to 3 Mbps, and if tata and dish can up their bandwidth to 4 to 5 Mbps, then you'll have true dvd quality :cool2:...PS: the satcodx site seems to be having some inconsistencies regarding big tv, so I can't vouch for accuracy...

wow..great information I thought mpeg4 will be of better quality on big screens..lol Thx for giving such a detailed information !!:happy:

Mpeg 4 helps only to the broadcasters as by using this technology one can accomodate more no of channels on their platform. And other thing is that with the implementation of MPEG 4 technology the cost of STB 's are going up and become more costlier. So ultimately what happens is Consumer ends up by paying more or its just an extra burden of money on all consumer for the same quality as with MPEG 2.

Back