2Mbps download speeds on 15Mbps connection

Hi Ranjit,
Actually I subscribed to Beam after watching your reviews on your Youtube channel! (By the way, great videos!) My download speeds are way under the much touted 15Mbps. I am getting 1.95 Mbps. However my upload speeds are more than 7 Mbps. The Beam Customer support said that the 15Mbps is the browsing speed and not d/l speed. I don't know what it means.

Post your speed results using speedtest.net website use the Mumbai server, you should get about 14 Mbps I do always get between 13 - 15 Mbps in an around server in Indian and to US about 6-8 Mbps, with good dedicated download servers I get again the full for example I just downloaded the windows 8 dev preview its about 3 odd GB and I was getting it at full 15 Mbps speed got the entire download in about 20 - 25 minutes, BTW the download speed that is shown typicall in your browser or download client is in KB so for 15 Mbps connection it should download at around 1.8 MB/sec.

BTW the tech support call center of Beam sucks luckily I never talk to them, I talk directly to the area head in our area and he knows who I am and that I give tech advise to 100's of people so not bullshitting about tech crap and silly excuses for me :)

Here are the results from speedtest.net -

I too was facing a drop in speed since last couple of days... a complaint is pending with Beam... though I now realized that the files server I was using is not giving me the speeds... cos I tried downloading on link-removed and it is working fine meaning giving a 4Mbps

Post FUP speed -- https://www.speedtest.net/result/1499222762.png

Though I am not sure about 15Mbps download.. are you expecting your download (as in downloading a file) to be @ 15Mbps... in which case I think the Beam tech is correct... the 15Mbps is browsing speed... which would translate to 1.5+Mbps download speeds...

To put it simple words, like Ranjith says take the speedtest.net the speed there is what we are all talking about... 15Mbps or otherwise...

Somehow my posts containing links to the speedtest result are being blocked by the moderator. However here are the test results from speedtest -Download speed : 2.05 MbpsUpload speed : 10.47 MbpsServer : MumbaiIn Ranjith's video above, the speeds areDownload speed : 13.3 MbpsUpload speed : 7.6 MbpsSo there seems to be some problem at the Beamtele end.

In Delhi most of us are still fighting for 2MBps speeds btw :P

In Delhi most of us are still fighting for 2MBps speeds btw :P
Humans greed has no end bro!
First you want 2 mbps..once u get that, 15mbps!! after getting 15 mbps..u want 100 mbps!! xP

Somehow my posts containing links to the speedtest result are being blocked by the moderator.
However here are the test results from speedtest -
Download speed : 2.05 Mbps
Upload speed : 10.47 Mbps
Server : Mumbai

In Ranjith's video above, the speeds are
Download speed : 13.3 Mbps
Upload speed : 7.6 Mbps

So there seems to be some problem at the Beamtele end.

Yep looks like you are FUP'ed so you are getting the 2Mbps now........ I think for Rs 1000 i.e 10 Mbps plan its upto 10 Mbps for the first 30 GB and after that 2 Mbps, so logon to the beam portal and see how much bandwidth you have used this month, check again on the 1st or 2nd of next month and check the speeds again.

@Ranjith : Doesn't seem to be the case, as I got the connection only 10 days back. The Beamtele portal shows only 4.5 GB usage. There must be something else going on.

Back