ACT Broadband in bangalore

• Thread starter Thread starter techfreek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 17,815
...unless you get some sweet, juicy underground fiber?
For now only one player offers it in my area. Without unbundling i have difficulty seeing it become more pervasive. Yeah, there might be the individual private players that will go to the trouble of doing it but they are rare.

Triple play is supposed to give the best value for money... at least it does in most countries.
We've not reached that stage of consolidation yet in India.

When they up prices, all three go up. As a customer you've got no control over that.

Take phone calls, BSNL dropped their tarriff rates some time back whereas Airtel did not. So they can increase their rates and well you've got no choice. Initially its cheaper because they want to kill of their competition as the smaller players won't be able to compete. Later on its a different story. If you live in an area that has little choice you're completely in their hands.

For now only one player offers it in my area. Without unbundling i have difficulty seeing it become more pervasive. Yeah, there might be the individual private players that will go to the trouble of doing it but they are rare.

Fortunately, it seems that building in Bangalore is cheap. Especially compared to Mumbai. So whether existing lines are unbundled or new open networks are built, it can happen - if not immediately, then certainly soon. The government seems to have realized that the best way forward is an open network, which, if built properly, could mean great things for all types of services.

When they up prices, all three go up. As a customer you've got no control over that.

True, but prices will rise anyway, if for no other reason than inflation. As far as consolidation is concerned, let's hope that someone comes along and builds an open network.

Take phone calls, BSNL dropped their tarriff rates some time back whereas Airtel did not. So they can increase their rates and well you've got no choice. Initially its cheaper because they want to kill of their competition as the smaller players won't be able to compete. Later on its a different story. If you live in an area that has little choice you're completely in their hands.

This is a current problem, yes, and very noticeable in Mumbai: you can either get it, or you can't.

Beam fiber For sure.. is trying to provide triple play by next year.... Cos from the starting they were saying that they will be providing Telephone,Dth and internet via same cable.. I doubt whether it is possible on FTTB... and.. they are laying underground fiber soon in few days and will be covering whole Hyderabad by next year.. According to my sources.. lets see.. I hope they do it and upgrade the existing Equipments :)

----------

ACT is something like Beam Cable in the starting.. i am noticing many complaints on other forums Regarding speed or installations..

Beam fiber For sure.. is trying to provide triple play by next year.... Cos from the starting they were saying that they will be providing Telephone,Dth and internet via same cable.. I doubt whether it is possible on FTTB... and.. they are laying underground fiber soon in few days and will be covering whole Hyderabad by next year.. According to my sources.. lets see.. I hope they do it and upgrade the existing Equipments :)
Your ppl are better organised than Kannadigas

Beam has been receiving a lot of investment, which is nice for them. I just hope that this doesn't mean that the bean-counters will take over the company, as I'd like to see them remain competitive and offer the type of stuff they have now. The only thing I'd like to see Beam to do for it's own sake is buy up all the cablewalas and their infrastructure so that it has absolute quality control.Triple-Play is very much possible on FTTB - in fact, most systems are designed for it.

Triple-Play is very much possible on FTTB - in fact, most systems are designed for it.
But More than 100mbps Speeds not possible on present infrastructure //

----------

Beam has been receiving a lot of investment, which is nice for them. I just hope that this doesn't mean that the bean-counters will take over the company, as I'd like to see them remain competitive and offer the type of stuff they have now.

Yes they have received nice investments and infact this company was not under ACT when they launched they were like some ordinary cable waala in the name of Beam cable system.. but later things have changed I guess ACT has invested and Took Beam under their Brand... How can a beggar owner now earn Crors of shit now, Infact many employees of the company say he has been helped a lot ?

But More than 100mbps Speeds not possible on present infrastructure //

I wouldn't expect Beam to have upgraded to switches with Gigabit user-facing ports - we even had trouble finding FTTB switches with Gigabit ports (usually there would be like, 24x 100mbit/s ones and 2x Gigabit ones or something). The uplinks will almost certainly be ~2.5Gbit/s PON ports though.

In fact, that's part of the reason we fixated completely on FTTH: CPEs with GigE are relatively easy to find, and the deployment cost difference between FTTB and FTTH isn't really much more than the cost of the CPE itself. Pleasingly, our choice of Alcatel with GigE also gave us a better price (per subscriber) than another vendor which was only going to give us 100mbit/s.

I am surprised to see * that every local cable waala is now upgraded his equipments and are providing internet via fiber just like Beam.. Even Spectranet is providing on Fiber.. they are available near my area..

Yes they have received nice investments and infact this company was not under ACT when they launched they were like some ordinary cable waala in the name of Beam cable system.. but later things have changed I guess ACT has invested and Took Beam under their Brand... How can a beggar owner now earn Crors of shit now, Infact many employees of the company say he has been helped a lot ?

I would have to ask one of my business managers if he knows the specifics of what's gone on at Beam. While we were talking about Hayai's investment strategy he was also telling me about Tikona's first investments and why we shouldn't do what they did (in short: they took 700cr but had to give away 70% of the company or something, so the place is run by accountants instead of technical people as it should be).

----------

I am surprised to see * that every local cable waala is now upgraded his equipments and are providing internet via fiber just like Beam.. Even Spectranet is providing on Fiber.. they are available near my area..

That's been the norm for quite some time, but deployment methods have differed. What I've seen in a lot of places is that they use ethernet extenders which basically convert the signal to fiber for up to 500m and then convert it back to copper, but thankfully that is going away.

My thinking for Hyderabad would probably be that Beam has made it a necessity for these guys to upgrade their equipment in order to provide the service... maybe it has become more of a "you need us more than we need you" situation - if the cablewala doesn't upgrade his equipment, Beam could refuse to supply their services which would lose the cablewala all his customers because everybody (unsurprisingly) wants Beam only - and being the most significant ISP of it's type in Hyderabad, to NOT be a Beam distributor would be a very bad idea for the cablewala.

If I ever had to use cablewalas for Hayai, that's the kind of situation I'd want them all to be in too ;)

I wonder how these ACT Guys decided to provide Triple play via Pole to Pole Fiber.. God knows when the fiber will cut and when it will be working.. Mg can you tell me if in case a fiber is cut underground how will they rectify the exact cut.. do we have instruments to check the cut cable at exact point?

Back