advantage of using bridge mode ?

• Thread starter Thread starter bk~
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 7,513

bk~

ISP
BNSL, Jio Fiber
what's the difference between using ONT and another router in bridge vs ONT and another router as AP mode ? will there be any speed differences?

You will get the good software capabilities of your router for use, rather than whatever the useless stuff is in the ONTs.

varies as per the ONT but basically, you have to change the mode on your internet profile to BRIDGE and then bind the port to any of ur ONT's ports preferably the Gigabit one, then connect router WAN to this port.
then in router, setup a new connection in PPPoE mode and input the bsnl ftth username and password which u saw in ONT.

You will get the good software capabilities of your router for use, rather than whatever the useless stuff is in the ONTs.
even without the bridge mode, we can get the good software capabilities from the router right by just connecting to the WAN port of the router.? couldn't get the idea of using bridge and without bridge..

No, utilities like NAT, DDNS, Port forwarding etc will be done by the ONT which does not handle it well, whereas routers like C6 have good software capabilities. Imagine adding an Optic port to ur Router. That is what will happen with Bridge mode

Bridge mode makes the home network simpler, although while setting up AP mode looks simpler.

If you see the logical design, in bridge mode your devices are directly connected to the router, which is directly connected to the internet. Whereas in AP mode, your devices are connected to the AP, which is connected to the router, which is then connected to the internet. This is what you see at network layer. When you put your ONT in bridge mode, it works as a Layer 2 device, which is invisible to higher layers.

In bridge mode, since your router is connected to internet directly, you can forward ports in it to avoid NAT related problems.

I didnt use bridge mode but disabled WLAN on Syrotech and put lan cable in new C80. I can still see above mentioned functions like ddns and nat available there. Am I missing something here ?

I didnt use bridge mode but disabled WLAN on Syrotech and put lan cable in new C80. I can still see above mentioned functions like ddns and nat available there. Am I missing something here ?
Syrotech ONUs are in bridge mode by default. You don't need to set it manually. You can now enter BSNL PPPoE on Archer C80. You may need to clone ONT mac though.

Back