Advice on Digital Camera

• Thread starter Thread starter teftar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,312
Hi Guys i am thinking about getting a new digital camera. Since i am a noob when it comes to photography surfed the web and came to settle on two camera models which are follows

1) Cannon Powershot SX 30IS
2) Nikon Coolpix P500

I am leaning towards the Powershot SX 30IS. It is available for decent price at letsbuy.

Now i will come to second part of my question at letsbuy i see that they are offering extended warranty so guys what do you think about this extended warranty is it any good?

buying cameras can be tricky, i bought one a year back.....had got lot of valuable inputs at that time.

from your version as u have described yourself as a beginner i would rather advise you to avoid the two models you have chosen. This are high zoom semi slr and can give tough time for beginners. even if i leave complex controls just the bulkiness of the models will create a lot of trouble.

Better go for a canon Sx230, nikon P9100/8100 or Panasonic TZ10. This are the most powerful point and shoots available for normal consumers at present. They have decent zooms you need, most are 12-14x and if you hear me you "wont need more". Without tripod more than 20x even with image stabilization is a bad idea. This models are also extremely good low light performers which is very necessary.

I would personally favour Panasonic, it beats all by miles in term of image quality but unfortunately is not quite good with brand lovers. Avoid Sony they may have very good interfaces,build but always get beaten by others in picture quality. Olympuz is a good one but not much idea about that, except this all avoid others by miles.:party:

----------

go through photography blog and other photography sites to choose the best one.

^ You summed up pretty much all I was thinking of saying but feeling lazy too. I am a big fan of Panasonic in this department - and absolutely despise Sony, not for their products, but for their outrageous pricing. Get a super zoom if you really want to, but chances are you won't. Whatever you do, just don't get a Sony.

Go ahead..!!! and do tell us about your experience with the camera.....I am also thinking of buying a new digicam....Also one thing I have noticed is that people are crazy for the mega pixel count and the reality is that for most home users a 6 to 8 MP camera is enough..Its the quality of image sensor which makes the difference...What do you say guys..??

Very true... the image sensor (CMOS sensor) to a Digi-cam is what a film to a traditional camera is... And is the most important part that needs to looked at while buying a dgii-cam... unfortunately most of the manufacturers don't mention this anywhere in the specs..

^ You summed up pretty much all I was thinking of saying but feeling lazy too. I am a big fan of Panasonic in this department - and absolutely despise Sony, not for their products, but for their outrageous pricing. Get a super zoom if you really want to, but chances are you won't. Whatever you do, just don't get a Sony.

Sony is a clear 'avoid' when it comes to digicams. only a few high end hx models are worth buying... But yes i would say when it comes to video cameras/handy cam's no body can beat them.

In cameras, i just know that about 8 MP is slitely more than enough, and that never fall for Digital Zoom count. Optical zoom is what matters.

But apart from this, i am not knowing what are the other things to be kept in mind. I read about the image sensor here. What is termed as "Good" when evaluating that?

I would judge the quality of the image sensor by the colors it can capture accurately.....May be its not the correct way out....All you can do is compare it with the photos of the same subject taken by other cameras....

Back