Airtel Broadband: Static IP with Airtel

Hi Everyone,

Recently I switched to Airtel from TTSB in Bangalore. After Fiber installation and account activation I requested for Static IPv4 and bridge mode. It got configured from backed and got call from Airtel service engineer with details of my static ip. I configured it in Pfsense and it was working fine. I was very happy and appreciated quick resolution from Airtel. But suddenly after two days my internet stopped working so I raised a service request for it. I got call from service engineer and I told him that I am using static IP. Then he checked from backed and told that my request for static IPv4 order is cancelled. Now again I am stuck with Nokia ONT doing routing and even I can not use bridge mode.

I raised this issue with customer care followed for 1 week did't get any reply. So escalate this issue to [email protected]. Still waiting for resolution and getting standard reply.

Someone please help me how to escalate and get this issue resolved.

I want static IPv4 as all incoming ports are open. I was running OpenVPN to access my home network remotely. Even after requesting for it and ready to pay monthly charges for static IPv4 90/-INR + GST. It was working fine then suddenly from backed it was removed. Now I am following up with Airtel from last 2 weeks.

@nerdseeder even if you have only bridge mode on the Nokia you can still use pfSense or any other router to perform PPPoE authentication. For e.g. I currently use an old Asus AC3200 with dual WAN functionality but seriously considering pfSense or OPNsense. I am not sure why Airtel canceled your static IP but since you have raised it to the appellate email ID they would revert to you asap. Also raise this issue on Twitter and FB.

just try to be calm and talk politely. send airtel_presence a dm with your problem. if they don't respond. send a new message every 12 hours.

@Chip
I tried to use PPPOE on pfsense tried both LAN port1 and 4 in bridge port. But it did not work. Then need to enable it from backend.

I have Nokia G-2425G-A ONT. For this ONT WAN setting are locked. Even they have disabled bridge mode from backend.

For static IP you just need to add IPvv4/CIDR/GW. Airtel don;t use PPPOE auth for static IP

Last edited:
@nerdseeder Airtel has to enable bridge from the backend and only then will you be able to use another router for authentication. Call 121 and speak to them normally it is done within 30 minutes.

I believe Airtel may be discouraging the use of static IPs given their rapid expansion and they're just possibly facing or expecting to face a shortage of IPv4 addresses. At least until such time they switch to IPv6

Back