Airtel copper to fiber upgrade

• Thread starter Thread starter behemoth
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 18,237
ISP
Airtel
I recently got a new Airtel Broadband Rapid 1399 connection (Upto 16 Mbps). I get 8 Mbps max. Today I got a call from Airtel customer care saying that I could upgrade to the Rapid 1599 plan by paying 200 extra and get guaranteed 16 Mbps speeds. I said that 16 Mbps is not feasible at my location (Mayur Vihar Phase 1, New Delhi). The cc guy told me that it is now feasible and I can upgrade.

Shouldn't I now get the same 16 Mbps speeds in Rapid 1399 plan as it also has upto 16 Mbps speeds? But the copper wires don't support 16 Mbps right? So can I force Airtel to lay fibre to my home and give me 16 Mbps in my current Rapid 1399 connection? My home is very close to the DSLAM where they get fibre input (supposedly) from their servers.

copper wires can support 16mbps. check the max attainable rate in your modem dsl status page.

copper wires can support 16mbps. check the max attainable rate in your modem dsl status page.
The installation guy told me that 16 Mbps on copper causes line drops and other shit. I'll go home and check the DSL status page.

How did you get that Airtel-UL-True Speed 999 75GB (16Mbps/2048Kbps) plan? What location?

He's from Hyderabad. But if you have attainable rate of 23 Mbps. Then you can opt for 16 Mbps plan on copper. You will get 14-15 Mbps.

He's from Hyderabad. But if you have attainable rate of 23 Mbps. Then you can opt for 16 Mbps plan on copper. You will get 14-15 Mbps.

SNR Margin: 23.0 14.4 db
Line Attenuation: 10.2 5.5 db
Data Rate: 10239 868 kbps
Attainable Rate: 24112 1222 kbps
Out Power: 16.8 6.9 dbm

Looks like I should be getting 16 Mbps?

Attainable Rate doesn't mean anything if they haven't upgraded their DSL Infrastructure. Attainable rate is theoretical maximum on your line. Then everything depends on Airtel's network Infra in your particular area.

I am from Mayur Vihar Phase - 1, Pocket - 4. They told me maximum speed is 16 Mbps in my area which was upgraded from 8 Mbps couple of months ago. What area do you live in?

Get the upgrade and come back to your original plan if it is 'upto 16mbps'.

Attainable Rate doesn't mean anything if they haven't upgraded their DSL Infrastructure. Attainable rate is theoretical maximum on your line. Then everything depends on Airtel's network Infra in your particular area.

I am from Mayur Vihar Phase - 1, Pocket - 4. They told me maximum speed is 16 Mbps in my area which was upgraded from 8 Mbps couple of months ago. What area do you live in?

I used to stay in Pocket 4. I now live in P Block Pandav Nagar (Near Ahlcon Public School). So are you getting 16 Mbps or 8 Mbps?

In case lower plan is 'upto 16 mbps' based on feasibility. Now it is feasible.

Back