Airtel DTH misleading consumers through wrong information in their Adv on MPEG 4

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh_g
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 7,606

saurabh_g

Regulars
ISP
TATA, Airtel
Airtel DTH is misleading consumers through false information about Better Picture quality through MPEG 4.

If fact their is no difference in Picture quality of MPEG 4 and MPEG 2 Technologies Picture qualuity is Same in both the cases. MPEG 4 is onlu useful for putting up more channels on Transponder as Both are just Compression Technique.

Check Links from Business Standard and Eonomic Times which proof the same

Asci upholds Tata Sky's complaint against Airtel's DTH campaign

Airtel DTH ad misleading, says Tata Sky- Media-Media/Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Business Standard Stoty

Asci upholds Tata Sky's complaint against Airtel's DTH campaign
The competition among the half a dozen rival direct-to-home (DTH) operators in the country has once again spilled over to the advertising arena. The Advertising Standards Council of India (Asci) has upheld a complaint by Tata Sky against rival Airtel Digital TV for misleading the consumers in its ‘Dil Titli’ television campaign featuring Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor.
In its complaint to Asci made in November 2009, Tata Sky had called the campaign “misleading” for suggesting that the picture quality of Airtel Digital TV was superior as it used the MPEG4 and DVB-S2 technology. The Asci, in its final hearing last week, upheld the Tata Sky complaint and may soon ask Airtel to either modify or withdraw the campaign, sources in Asci said.

The Asci is the apex self-regulation body of the advertising industry. It deals with the complaints received from consumers and industry against advertisements that are considered as false, misleading, indecent, illegal, leading to unsafe practices, or unfair to competition.

In 2008, Tata Sky had dragged its rival Dish TV before the fair trade regulator — Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission — terming the Dish TV advertisement offering free set-top boxes as “misleading” and “deceptive”.

Tata Sky and Dish TV, the top two private DTH operators in the market, use MPEG2 technology while the remaining DTH operators, including Sun Direct, Digital TV, Big TV and D2H, use MPEG4 technology.

In its complaint to Asci on the Airtel Digital TV advertisement issue, Tata Sky said that while MPEG4 was a video compression standard and DVB-S2 was a satellite transmission standard, both these specifications had no relationship with video quality. “MPEG4 is a video compression technology that helps in packing more channels within a given bandwidth. This has no relation with the picture quality, and it has been scientifically proven. This is what we have told Asci. We are not there to stop anyone from advertising, we just want the right message to go to the consumers,” said Vikram Mehra, CMO, Tata Sky. When contacted, Airtel Digital TV CEO Ajay Puri said: “We did receive a communication from Asci asking us to explain the MPEG4 technology. We have not received any notice from them to withdraw the campaign yet.” “MPEG4 is a proven better compression technology and that is what we have said in our communications to the consumers. Our ads are not directed against anybody,” he said. Industry sources, however, said that since the DTH market had been extremely competitive, such ad campaigns may affect the consumers decision to opt for one DTH operator over another. Currently, between the six DTH players, an average of around 18,000-20,000 DTH connections are being sold each day with Airtel Digital TV alone selling over 7,000 connections, higher than some of its rivals.

“We are selling 200,000 DTH connections each month,” confirmed Puri. Tata Sky, which is now the third-largest DTH operator behind Dish TV and Sun Direct, is adding over 100,000 subscribers per month. “Till November 2009, our subscriber base stood at 4.5 million …on a monthly basis, we have been selling far more than 100,000 subscribers,” Mehra of Tata Sky said.

Its really bad from airtel, in that case they should only promote one thing.. that they broadcast more channels than rival MPEG2, but they are not doing so.. because dth is all about quality. And if they are able to transmitt more channels.. they should be giving it cheap.. Like Videocon. But they are not doing so.. Minting money u should learn from Airtel digital.. I will reconsider to continue with airtel after my 6 months package is over (as Videocon AP gold pack in 150 seems very lucrative)

New Tata Sky black box also Tata Sky+ provides MPEG4 so, how can Airtel claim that they provide superior quality compared to other DTH providers.:madness:

Its really bad from airtel, in that case they should only promote one thing.. that they broadcast more channels than rival MPEG2, but they are not doing so.. because dth is all about quality. And if they are able to transmitt more channels.. they should be giving it cheap.. Like Videocon. But they are not doing so.. Minting money u should learn from Airtel digital.. I will reconsider to continue with airtel after my 6 months package is over (as Videocon AP gold pack in 150 seems very lucrative)

As far as price is concern to you don't change your connection to fast. May be D2H will be increase it's price soon

Well Saurabh_g,Dont get so bothered about Airtel DTH misleading with their ads. Even Dish TV did that a dozen months back when they were "supposedly" offering free STBs which was actually not the case. Any comments on Dish TV misleading the customers a year back, Saurabh ? :)

icycool25 , you cant hide ur faults by showing some one else's. A fault is a fault and need to be corrected. being an airtel digital customer, I would only want trust to be built between me and my company, I will not care what malpractices others do. So I , Saurabh and any one who is customer has right to worry if their company spreads an ad that has no credibility.Pratikr, when there is competition, prices never go up.. please check the history across domains.. Once upon a time, cell phone call was 13 Rs a min, today its 50 paisa.

when there is competition, prices never go up.. please check the history across domains.. Once upon a time, cell phone call was 13 Rs a min, today its 50 paisa.

Even better in case of cell phones it is pay per second. Competition is good as it encourages stiff pricing which inturn benefits customers but the event of misleading customer ensembles false promotion.

pradip, I do get what you are trying to say but you should also understand that Saurabh is most of the time in the lookout for the faults of other DTH companies which is absolutely unfair considering he is always supporting Dish TV biased. Yes no faults can be hidden so here I was just highlighting the fault of Dish TV which is often praised by Saurabh.

every dth company in india lie about the quality of video and audio in their service. most of them hide the installation charges. no one tells the truth about disappearing channels and increasing rates of packages. zee, Tata Sky, airtel, big tv... all suck.

Well Saurabh_g,

Dont get so bothered about Airtel DTH misleading with their ads. Even Dish TV did that a dozen months back when they were "supposedly" offering free STBs which was actually not the case. Any comments on Dish TV misleading the customers a year back, Saurabh ? :)

Well Just to tell, before putting up such comments you must know about the details, at that time also Tata Sky filed a case and in result they have lost the case as the ad was perfectly okay.

Back