Airtel is big f***ers. They are investing in submarine cable for another country.

• Thread starter Thread starter acc1444
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 20,243
...Dare I comment?1. EIG can be utilized for residential BB for any company buying capacity on that cable.2. SG has a very small coverage area and has an island-wide government built/subsidized network which is open to all.3. Neighbouring Malaysia's Internet is not nearly as good as SG, yet they don't exactly suffer a proximity issue to SG as much as India does.4. Tata also owns TISCS or whatever the bloody acronym is, which is a Chennai-SG cable.5. Airtel does need to have these cable systems - how else are we supposed to connect India to the rest of the world?Etc etc etc the story goes on.

1. EIG can be utilized for Residential purposes but Airtel isnt using it... Even Bsnl is also following airtel.. 5. Airtel needs to have cable systems to india then why is it investing in Unity and Asia-America Gateway ...Wtf is wrong wid EASSy (cable system)?when they doesnt even land in india? That means they are much interested in Expanding Biz in other countries!

1. EIG can be utilized for Residential purposes but Airtel isnt using it... Even Bsnl is also following airtel..

5. Airtel needs to have cable systems to india then why is it investing in Unity and Asia-America Gateway ...Wtf is wrong wid EASSy (cable system)?
when they doesnt even land in india? That means they are much interested in Expanding Biz in other countries!

1. But others (such as ourselves) might.
5. By having plenty of bandwidth between the USA and various points in Asia (Tokyo, HK, SG) then the theory goes that not only is there some route diversity (something necessary with the Internet), but also that bandwidth should be plentiful between the USA and India by virtue of there being multiple paths. It is a pity, however, that India and Japan are not particularly well connected.

As for EASSy, then this cable supports their African Operations. That's on the other side and has nothing to do with Unity.I would like to doubt that their African operations are being subsidized by their Indian operations (I have a feeling that this wouldn't be allowed by both the Telecom regulator as well as the Foreign Investments Board or whatever they call themselves), but without looking at their balance sheets I obviously cannot say how it all works or how they have structured their company.I'm not defending Airtel - they are making enough decisions which from many angles appear anti-consumer, but as far as having multiple cable systems in multiple parts of the world is concerned, I see that as justified.

1. EIG can be utilized for Residential purposes but Airtel isnt using it... Even Bsnl is also following airtel..

5. Airtel needs to have cable systems to india then why is it investing in Unity and Asia-America Gateway ...Wtf is wrong wid EASSy (cable system)?
when they doesnt even land in india? That means they are much interested in Expanding Biz in other countries!

they don't use it bcoz they have a habit of utilizing just 5-6% of their resources(intl. bw)...that too with the bulk coming frm downstream players. I doubt how much its own BB customers get of their comps resource.

^^^ they don't use it bcoz they have a habit of utilizing just 5-6% of their resources(intl. bw)...that too with the bulk coming frm downstream players. I doubt how much its own BB customers get of their comps resource.

I know that - I've been telling you all the same for years :D

India’s Bharti Airtel and Hong Kong telco Pacnet have agreed to combine their networks to create a new high-speed cable system which will form a direct link between the Los Angeles, US and Chennai, India.

Pacnet and Bharti Airtel join forces for India-US cable

Meanwhile, New Zealand cable operator Pacific Fiber said it is going to build its own cable linking Australia, New Zealand, Samoa and the US after Pacnet pulled out of a deal which would have seen both companies split the US$400m cost to construct the network.

http://yourfibreopticnews.com/pacnet+and+bharti+airtel+plan+new+us+and+india+link_30510.html

Pacnet and Bharti Airtel join forces for India-US cable

This is quite a strange development since when they started building their submarine cable to link chennai, they were blaming Airtel and others of high bandwidth prices (to be more precise claiming that 10X rates comparing to world prices). Lets see what pricing now comes in future considering a Milkers is also on the board !

Back