Airtel is big f***ers. They are investing in submarine cable for another country.

• Thread starter Thread starter acc1444
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 20,243
But according to india tv news channel, earth will be destroyed in 2012.

Hi Sach92 :P

I have news for you: the track record of ancient prophets and prophecies isn't that great. In fact, it's pretty dismal. Lets work on the assumption that the world isn't going to end anytime soon, and if it does... then I guess I'll be red-faced.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Money goes where it gets the best return. The only thing that airtel should care about is profit and how to make the most of it. They are not a charity nor are they a govt entity. They are a PRIVATE COMPANY !

Why aren't you asking why no foreign telecom companies have come to set up shop in India ? What is stopping them. They think we are hand to mouth or govt is putting too many restrictions because of 'national security'. A nice excuse to protect indian telcos from any real competition and us from getting better service at lower rates.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so many things :D

The joy of India is that you already have some of the lowest calling rates in the world. Shame about the Internet though.

I see, so what happens when they loot those customers as well ?

So would they get their govt to slap airtel with some sort of suit for being an unfair foreigner.

Most other countries are better regulated or at least have better enforcement of regulations than here. Not the USA so much, but certainly a number of countries. When a company tries to screw consumers, it gets reprimanded. That doesn't really happen here.

I agree not letting in foreign players was a good decision. Capping FDI initially is very important for letting domestic companies to go. Otherwise all we would hav seen would have been foreign companies.

Yup, because Reliance didn't just take a huge amount of money from China to fund it's LTE network. And Uninor, MTS and Etisalat are all foreign (Norway, Russia and UAE respectively). Tata Communications is part Canadian. Airtel is almost an exception nowadays.

It is good for Indian companies to get established abroad. It helps the economy indirectly.

I'm still not seeing much of that filtering down. Basically the arrangement still seems to be helping the billionaires get richer, and then they funnel their money away in to foreign accounts leading to large deposits of black currency and all this other stuff that's coming to light now.

Airtel?

Bharti Enterprises (63.45%)
SingTel (32.15%)
Vodafone (4.4%)

Hmm.

B'oh. Forgot about the SingTel thing.

not sure if the above figures from wikipedia are latest. i think singtel recently bought some more stock of airtel. :D

Airtel?

Bharti Enterprises (63.45%)
SingTel (32.15%)
Vodafone (4.4%)

Hmm.
Hmm,,,,
I know vodafone is involved but I surprised when no one is ready to offer cheap 3g even though all are big. I can understand that they paid high for 3g but I think they can afford. After all, they are earning more from us.

Hi Sach92
Oh, had i realised it was that twat that started this thread i would not have bothered to reply.

I agree not letting in foreign players was a good decision. Capping FDI initially is very important for letting domestic companies to go. Otherwise all we would hav seen would have been foreign companies.
When does 'initially' officially end ?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so many things :D

The joy of India is that you already have some of the lowest calling rates in the world. Shame about the Internet though.
That means the way the internet as adminstered in India isn't as profitable to private players compared to other options.

Most other countries are better regulated or at least have better enforcement of regulations than here. Not the USA so much, but certainly a number of countries. When a company tries to screw consumers, it gets reprimanded. That doesn't really happen here.
If we have regulations that are not enforced then its better to get rid of those regulations. Regulations only increase the price of doing business which gets passed onto the customer. Customers will only pay so much ergo the market isn't growing its saturated. This is why we've not seen much movement in this space over the last five years.

You're the contrarian that thinks otherwise. That we have limited lines coming into India isn't a bottleneck, its that way because sending more would not be worth it. We pay a higher price for internet because there aren't enough customers to lower the asking price.

I'm still not seeing much of that filtering down. Basically the arrangement still seems to be helping the billionaires get richer, and then they funnel their money away in to foreign accounts leading to large deposits of black currency and all this other stuff that's coming to light now.
Again money going where it gets the best return. Its not black if it was legally transferred abroad & earned there is it.

Oh, had i realised it was that twat that started this thread i would not have bothered to reply.

Haha chill, I was just poking fun at acc ;)

That means the way the internet as adminstered in India isn't as profitable to private players compared to other options.

I disagree. The Internet could be immensely profitable to private players if it was administered properly. But this fad of 256-512k service is kinda old now and with everyone wanting unlimited this and that means most of the players are struggling to deliver something that's any good. Which is why we're not planning to fall in to this trap of uber-cheap service.

If we have regulations that are not enforced then its better to get rid of those regulations. Regulations only increase the price of doing business which gets passed onto the customer. Customers will only pay so much ergo the market isn't growing its saturated. You're the contrarian that thinks otherwise.

Agreed, but the regulatory framework is a double-edged sword - it's certainly not helping other players bring in faster services (at least not without serious restrictions on FUP and so forth) and so the providers seem from many vantage points happy to coast along with the bare minimum of service.

Again money going where it gets the best return. Its not black if it was legally transferred abroad & earned there is it.

Of course not, but do you think Billionaires like paying tax any more than the common man? Once abroad, it stays abroad, whether it ends up back in the company or in the personal fortunes of the head honchos, and this is what I mean by the rich getting richer and the benefits of new investments not filtering down to affect "normal" people.

Back