airtel speed jump: dec6, 11pm

i have been getting a bump in speed so r few of my friends from the normal around 30k to around 60k from 11pm in the night till the time my system reboots due to damn power cuts. so till haen't figured out wat time the speed gets back to normal.will take a scrshot n post in the night :P

whats the avg speed you get from a 128KBPS and 256KBPS line... from my 128KBPS... I am getting 25KBPS avg... I don't know if this is ok... but my friends using the same plan have diff speed... one has 18KBPS avg... another has 45-50KBPS... don't know man... I am confused...

you should be getting 16KBps on 128Kbps. For 256Kbps you should get about 32KBps. But they are theoretical speeds. You will prolly get 14KBps and 25-28KBps.

I am also witnessing a speed jump. I am downloading 3 files simultaneously and the total download speed is around 60 KB/s.

you have to take 3 readings then arrive at the average. that will give you download speed. divide your connection speed by 8 that will give you in KBps. 128 =16, 256=32, but in reality for 16 you will get 13 or 14, for 32 you will get 27 or 29. i am at chennai, i use 256kbps connection and get 27KBps on the average. for downloading if youuse a thirdparty download manager you can see at the beginning the speed touching 62KBps and come down to 24 or 27KBps. Apply the pause for 30 secs, and release, the speed will touch 92KBps! and come down to 25KBps. from user end no body can do anything to get greater speeds, as the settings are at the server end.

^^ I thought it was a result of downloading from a local buffer and the smoothing algorithm in the rate display. :? I mean, it can't possibly be the actual speed from your ISP! I've had 100+KBps sometimes.

Originally posted by thoufique@Dec 15 2005, 02:55 PM
okay just called airtel.. the speed upgradation is true.. they said my plan will be upgraded to 512 in one or two days...

they are upgrading speeds to 512kbps on all plans irrespective of wat plan you have
[snapback]35838[/snapback]
[/quote]
since 15th airtel has upgraded its connection speed to 512kbps. hereafter all plans will have this speed only. :)
watch out this is connection speed only. there will be a 20% increase in the regular browsing speed. band width will not jump to 512 immediately. they are going to gradually upgrade it. :huh:
there is no change in the plans or the tariff structure. but before Jan 06 some drastic changes are taking place. B)

Back