Airtel Static IP - Setup Guidance

ISP
Airtel
Hi all!
I applied for a Static IP today (16-10-24 11:00) and got a message saying my request is "solved" followed by another saying "Our agent will visit for installation".
Right around 14:00, my internet disconnected, the light blinked a little and connected back in a minute.
So .. when I check my router admin page .. under WAN my IP address changed to 122. .. .. . which earlier used to start with 100. ... ... ..
Also on whatsmyip, I see the same IP address now.
NGL that was pretty fast!

I wanted to ask for some guidance. Is this it? Is there any config that's to be done?
Do I need to tell the technician anything at visit? Should I take care of something and relay it to the tech?
Will they replace my router?
I am on the 40mbps plan, but once I get this working I'll be upgrading to 200mbps in the next billing cycle.

Apologies in advance because I think I am somewhat of a nerd myself, but my knowledge is really limited when it comes to IT, so don't mind wrong terminology or newbie questions. I do understand some stuff and I'll do my research and googling.

The router I have is a Nokia G-2425G-A if I am not wrong.

TIA and I'd really appreciate the help
Cheers!

Forgot imp parts.
I work as an Independent Industrial Designer, Design Engineer and a CG Generalist.
My intent is to host my own game servers. I am doing some dev and also to play with friends.
Maybe host my own websites or something? You get it.
I'd also want to remote into my workstation. Setup a NAS and all that nice stuff.

My Home Network:
Currently, the Nokia is my Primary router (2nd floor), a LAN wire goes through to a D-Link Router at Ground Floor.
I am also curious, would the community recommend I get a nice Router to use as a Primary?
Currently I see all settings under WAN Locked. I wish to have good control.
I wouldn't mind at all investing in a really nice router.

Again, thanks for your time and I'd really appreciate some guidance for the first time newb! :)

I see this in the WAN page.
I have tried reading almost all threads on Forum related to this matter.
But still a little confused on how to have it set up in a foolproof way.
Someone said it needs to be on IPoE?
I am not sure, these options are locked for me.

jCZaPGO.png

@Rickysin really? Wouldn't mind.
Hey so, I did the PortCheck thing as well, I have UPnP enabled so there was this port that now says is open.
Can you help me understand? In Status-Wan, it doesn't say StaticIP yet and using PPPoE.
So, is the tech gonna come and do some other stuff like pushing configs from the backend?

And as a general advice .. ..
Should I ask him to do something in particular?
Should I ask for another Airtel Router (Nokia)
Should I use a better Router as Primary or skip that hassle for a 200-200 connection?
Any settings that I should change now, that I'll be getting Static IP?
Like UPnP etc?

@gayad
1. I would suggest investing in an ONU (A modem with LAN port acting as a modem for fiber) if you are on Airtel, as you will get complete control over your internet with a third party router, like TP-Link or any other brand of your choice. You can copy the GPON Serial Number mentioned at the back of the Nokia ONT (not SN, GPON SN), the VLAN ID (for Airtel it's 100) and the WAN MAC address of the Nokia ONT (usually mentioned on the WAN Page of the ONT or dashboard). From the forums, you will see XZ000-G7 works with Airtel, but NOT with Jio or any other ISP having compatibility issues with OLTs. You can still check for a lot of ONUs out there, and buy a preety powerful third-party router, capable of 1Gbps over Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi 6/6E capable, AX5400 series are one of the best for that) and atleast having 2.5Gbps for WAN/LAN if you are into NAS (as you said you don't mind having a costlier router).
OR
You can config the Nokia ONT into a bridge mode (Dumb ONT), and configure the third-party router as primary by following the steps above.
2. As for your WAN config, the WAN is still configured as PPPoE, which means you need IPoE or Static IP for that. Contact the engineer and tell him to set it up for you. Do note the IP settings, as you will need those for the configuration.

Update : The tech just visited, I explained him nicely and he called his TL. (Lead?)
He was on the phone and he told him to check for some IP like 223. .. ..
After a Router restart, my IP changed but it was 122. .. ..
I talked to his TL and he said he tried doing it from backend and it was showing successful but changes aren't showing up on my side.
He told me that he is talking with guys above and he is on it.
But I am impressed that I applied at 11AM and got visited by 6PM.

Last edited:
@IfranAli Hey thanks a lot for the detailed answer!
1. Do you mean, that I can get the XZ000-G7, do as you explained, and have all settings unlocked and not having to call Airtel for say putting it into Bridge Mode and all? That'd be nice!
2. Yeah I was pretty happy I'd get it done within a day, but as I explained above there were some hiccups and I am still seeing PPPoE in Status-WAN.
I have the number of the TL/Engineer who's doing it.
I forgot to note down my real IP that he had on him though. :poop:

Back