Airtel Static IP - Setup Guidance

I did that earlier, in Custom MAC put my Nokias MAC from the sticker.
Ill try that again with this updated setting on G7.

@IfranAli This user confirmed that there is no MAC binding even for static IP - Static IP address provisioning process

Are you absolutely sure that MAC binding will work? Or are you just beating a dead horse?

@gayad

I bought XZ000-G7 knowing that it might not work as forum members in the thread about XZ000-G7 have written plenty about incompatibility with ALCL OLT. That thread has links to buy XZ000-G3 v1 and other ONTs (Huawei, VSOL, etc.).

I lucked out and XZ000-G7 just worked just fine for me with the following steps:

1. ONT: Set SN type to ASCII+HEX
2. ONT: Paste original GPON SN
3. ONT: Set VLAN Mode to Transparent Mode
4. Set VLAN to 100 in router/PC
5. Dial PPPoE in router/PC

PPPoE should still be available to get dynamic IP, even if you have static IP so you can remove wrong static IP config as a factor. Check if that works, if not, bad luck, you likely have ALCL and have to get another ONT compatible with ALCL OLT.

As for the router, I think the cheap routers like AX1500 (especially AX1500 instead of AX1800) are pretty garbage for power users and gamers. They are underpowered, their 2.4GHz radio is limited to WiFi 4 instead of WiFi 6 (hence it's AX1500 and not AX1800), their QoS feature is garbage and you will soon learn about bufferbloat when your family comes back and they connect a hundred devices to the router whether it's via the router WiFi or another AP.

As of right now, I am using XZ000-G7 with Mercusys MR90X flashed with OpenWRT. I have https-dns-proxy to block unencrypted DNS for all devices and sqm-scripts to allow me to play games without bufferbloat even when someone in my family decides to watch 4K Netflix. I lost internet for 2 days because I had a typo in PPPoE password but it was 100% worth it.

It allowed me to host my Minecraft server for friends over IPv6 (I don't want to pay for static IPv4) and it's lag free even over WiFi as I implemented AQL (airtime queue limit) for lower latency.

Unless you are on a short budget, I would recommend returning both the "bricks" given your use case of hosting game servers. MR90X was the best bang for the buck but it is out of stock now, would suggest looking up MediaTek Filogic based routers if you want OpenWRT and good performance. Or you can build your own router and set up the AX1500 as an AP.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, do G7 and AX12 have to be on the same Subnet(is that the right word).
I mean G7 has 192.168.1.1 and AX12 has 192.168.0.1.
Now I had also tried with AX12 on 192.168.1.2.

In GeekyTwins discord, Manjot has been really helpful, he mentioned that they both should be on different ones.
Anyways, AX12 is on .0.1 as of now.

Aaaaand .. I put Nokias Custom MAC and rebooted both, still no internet.
This is G7 on the 3rd setting from Transparent and VLAN Tag.
No luck fam.

@akshay71 right. Well I guess it's ALCL OLT thingy, which I was dreading.
@IfranAli @tr1k0N4 @akshay71 now that the storys unfolded like this .. ..
My intent being making Nokia a Dumb Signal Converter since Airtel force locked UPnP On and LANIP and DHCP after the Static IP ... ... what are my options right now?

I read some threads here some Airtel Routers have Vlan Scan ... on my plan upgrade I can ask for a router.. .. can that work or is it not worth the time?

Should I get it in Bridged mode to have that control with my AX12 & move on?

Why can't you call up Airtel customer care and request Bridge mode? Why can't you do this? Then instead of G7, use Airtel router LAN Port 1 to feed into your AX12 and set static IP on AX12. This is the setup which should definitely work. Then your G7 would be rendered useless.

Golden rule: Just dont buy TP-Link G7 ONU. It is a known problematic model and there are hundreds of posts of people reporting issues with it here. I can't believe why people still buy it !!
Buy XZ000-G3 V1 or V2, update it's firmware from tp-link cz website by changing url and it has VLAN scan function to sniff out real VLAN if your OLT is Alcatel/Nokia.

Link to buy XZ000-G3 (Probably V2) here
Another link on Moglix here (Check with them the version)

Last edited:
@akshay71 @pxgmr There was no mention of previously used option of MAC Cloning and there was no change in MAC Clone, so I assumed that's why it wasn't working. Anyways, G7 is shit and useless, and unless I provide you guys with the updated and tested firmware by TP-Link, there is no fix for that.

Last edited:
@akshay71 exactly what I am gonna do, had this as a last resort.
Anything I should specifically tell the Team Lead?
I'll be having a chat with him tomorrow.

"I need all ports on Bridged?"
He will do only one, port 4?
Will I also need to tell him turn my UPnP off as its kept forced on or will then DHCP AND UPnP will be controlled by AX12 and I just ask him to Bridge the Nokia?
Any bullshit I should look out for?

Back