Bangalore - IPTV on 15th August ( With Rates from BSNL )

• Thread starter Thread starter Praks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 43,701
Status
Not open for further replies.
@gururaj.dsince ur house is only 800meters the quality will be great.note the IPTV demo bsnl gave at leela palace ,the exchange is 650meters from leela palace according to IOL VP of bangalore

What I'm concerned about is the fact that watching TV could affect your internet speed - it's going to be ridiculous if I have to tell my family to stop watching TV so I can finish a 2Mbps download chop chop.Santosh, do you think this is because you have a bad line or it's going to be like this for everyone unless they are near the exchange with a high quality line?Brian.

Santosh, do you think this is because you have a bad line or it's going to be like this for everyone unless they are near the exchange with a high quality line?

Brian.

I *guess* (and *hope* too:)) that it is due to noisy line.

Technically there are two independent network connections, one each for data and IPTV. They are bridged together in the modem and obviously share the available physical (ADSL) bandwidth. Not so sure, but that's what I could conclude based on what the engineer was talking about while troubleshooting. So if the total physical bandwidth is not enough for both connections, only then we should suffer, not otherwise.

Can people having good connections share their experiences? It will be quite helpful.

I stay at BTM 2nd Stage and around 1.5 kms from the exchange. The quality has been good. Yesterday and day before had some problems. The channel just blanked out and got a Opera brower message saying cannot find channel. But once the setup box is switched off and on, it was fine. This happened close to 15 times within a span of 2 hours. But after that, there has been absolute no problems in the last 24 hours.I'm on home 500 plan 2 Mbps. After IPTV was enabled, modem shows 6 Mbps. The dateone speed test also consistently gave between 2.5 to 3 Mbps and general download speed too seemed faster.Again, in the last 24 hours, I'm noticing the speeds are slow, 500/600 kbps. But this I think is some intermittent problem. Will watch a couple more days and post again.Ideally, like earlier pointed out, they are different Virtual Circuits VC35 for Broadband and VC100 for IPTV and both sharing the physical bandwidth.And BTW, my SNR is 31/17 (higher the better ?) and Line Attenuation is 27/17. Now, I don't really understand these very well, and these are from the modem stats. Can some explain the significance and normaly range of these values ?Thanks,

SNR higher the better (more than 12-13), attenuation lower the better (no idea about normal figures). Two numbers are for upstream and downstream. Some modems show SNR as "DS Margin" and "US Margin". Your line seems to be quite good, no wonder you are having quality reception!

But on the other hand, my landline is quite noisy ... any way as long as the IPTV quality is good ;)

Can people having good connections share their experiences? It will be quite helpful.

This is what my Modem Summary shows:

ADSL Link Speed: Upstream - 510 Kbps, Downstream - 2046 Kbps
SNR: Upstream - 24.2 dB, Downstream - 34.0 dB
Attenuation: Upstream - 5.5 dB, Downstream - 13.5 dB

Hopefully I should get good signal when I get an IPTV connection.

The channel just blanked out and got a Opera brower message saying cannot find channel. But once the setup box is switched off and on, it was fine. This happened close to 15 times within a span of 2 hours

pretty scary :O

superprash,

He did not say anything about the 3-4 meter LAN cable which I needed, so I hope it will be a part of the installation charge (which is Rs. 800/- or so). Since my modem already has a builin WiFi router, I didn't face any problem regarding connection to computer/laptop. You can unsubscribe it anytime, but only at the cost of initial installation charge which is non-refundable. Rental for TV and STB together is roughly the same as cable guy (Rs. 250/- PM), so no loss there!

In my case, I am not going to accept and sign for the completion of installation until they solve the noise issue. I have got an assurance of not being charged until then. Since the audio/video quality is falling short of my initial expectations, now I feel the need to compare it against Tata Sky:). Unless the difference turns out to be considerable or they are unable to resolve the noise issue within reasonable time, I should go ahead with BSNL.

Regarding channels, I could see 64 channels. Program guide seems to be good, you can search channels and programs by name, right through your remote (which can double as TV remote too), and you can set reminders/alerts for specific programs! (haven't yet tried using alerts, though) I did not ask about particular channels but he said that all 150+ channels will be available soon (within a couple of weeks)... but frankly I am not too optimistic, especially regarding the time-frame that he mentioned!

Can you please give the details about the channels we could see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back