BOSS: An initiative by the Govt of India

• Thread starter Thread starter kindofblue
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 13,626
Well I for one did not mean govt offices, which you rightly pointed out, are driven by other forces(unless ofcourse either some visionary bureacrat puts his foot down OR some leftist party in kerala does it in an anti microsoft sentiment). I meant that for private businesses/small offices benefiting from saving on licensing costs and trying to look beyong the Total Cost of Ownership (TM) bullcrap that m$ constantly harps on... But this can happen only if the business knows exactly what it needs and how it can get that done without succumbing to microsoft-ish products.

For private Business, things are looking better. Ubuntu server + client is getting there. Not sure how much time it will take.But Open Source or otherwise, we not not have any answer to VB and VBA Macros (yet).

That sites not working for me.

What people here dont realize is that the Indian govt. doesn't work the way we mere mortals work. There are huge amounts of politics involved. And the people at CDAC ( I'm restraining myself from saying horrible horrible things ;) ) are puppets in the hands of the Ministries which just direct them to do stupid things like making a distro and spending literally crores on testing it. Nobody ends up using it btw.

Well I for one did not mean govt offices, which you rightly pointed out, are driven by other forces(unless ofcourse either some visionary bureacrat puts his foot down OR some leftist party in kerala does it in an anti microsoft sentiment).

Hello hello!!! Its crap to think about "bureaucrats putting their foot down or leftist party echoing an anti-M$ sentiment". Sirf paisa bolta hai. M$ has a lot of $$$ and that is what those ****** politicians crave. The more difficult they make it for M$ to get contracts for the govt. office the more kick backs those AHs get. That is the ONLY reason for our govt. to fund Linux development.

This is EXACTLY what the Chinese government did. And now they're in bed with M$

Sirf paisa bolta hai. M$ has a lot of $$$ and that is what those ****** politicians crave. The more difficult they make it for M$ to get contracts for the govt. office the more kick backs those AHs get. That is the ONLY reason for our govt. to fund Linux development.

I can relate to your cynicism but I dont think things are that bad, unless if you tell me that you've had first hand experiences... India still seems to have some decent IASs in its ranks - I've met a few of them myself and they do have decision making power in their hands.

I believe Linux and FOSS will really take off in India if broadband becomes fast, unlimited and affordable for the vast middle-class.Little kids will download, play with and learn Linux themselves (instead of watching WWE), they will grow up to become system administrators, programmers, open-source contributors etc. Then the govt can hire them to support their installations of Linux... Who knows? A whole "dot com" boom might happen around FOSS in India, if broadband was ubiquitous... and so on and so forth....Too bad we have narrowminded, shortsighted, and possibly incompetent, greedy telecoms govt. officials :(

umm. i believe if broadband is made more accessible, kids would stop spending time on tv and would instead spend time watching videos on youtube and downloading movies and songs. don't over estimate today's generation. they had rather play games than do research on the net.and i am not even talking about easy access to pron material on the web.

LOL, ya very true...I was talking about some kids with a proclivity toward techie stuff (geeks) and not your average spoilt brat :)Only a minority would choose to avoid WWE/games and go for intellectual stuff...

You are right, they are decent/articulate/know what they are talking about.. and have the power. I worked on a project for enabling electronic record keeping in one of the Municipalities, was a pilot project for that state. Officers grilled us on all technical/operational aspects of projects and they were thorough. But ultimately what closed the deal was $$$$ from Software and Hardware vendor.

oh yea. i am sure if i had access to internet during the days i spent using PC Quest CDs, i would be a bit more techie :D now...

Back