BOSS: An initiative by the Govt of India

• Thread starter Thread starter kindofblue
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 13,626
I can relate to your cynicism but I dont think things are that bad

It was in response to this post...

umm. i believe if broadband is made more accessible, kids would stop spending time on tv and would instead spend time watching videos on youtube and downloading movies and songs.

don't over estimate today's generation. they had rather play games than do research on the net.

and i am not even talking about easy access to pron material on the web.

Not necessarily... Getting addicted to games/pr0n is a possibility but usually there's saturation, after which you get down to more meaningful stuff. Why else do you think most "script kiddies" are actually kiddies?

A good example is this very forum - quite a lot of youngsters/school kids playing around with linux and what not - Something not hitherto possible because of lack of internet penetration... I think the net is a great enabler. Governments like TamilNadu, instead of giving away frigging TV sets(that spew crappy soaps for the bird brained) to needy families can give an OLPC laptop with internet maybe.?

heh. the indian government rejected the OLPC machines saying that they would rather spend the money on something else than on stupid computers. :Danyways i do think kids would need some guidance to get used to computers. and with parents being new to this computer thingy... the future does not look that bright. :Pthings are fine in middle class families where kids are giving basic computer education in school... or institutes.i myself learnt computers at the institute where my mom had joined for spending some time during afternoons! she got bored, i stuck there picking up the basics on my own :P

whatever happened to simputer...it makes sense. u do not give computers to kids who do not have food to eat or cloths to wear. but the problem is that the government does not even do anything to fix the first problem. avoiding the second one is not a solution!

Concidentally, I just installed Ubuntu on my work PC and configured it, so far it's working like a beauty.Email, web, chat, development/testing... even doing "remote desktop" to a Windows PC works like charm!Again, pleasantly surprised with Ubuntu...

hey not bad, is that a beryl icon i see??? :)

Back