Broadband Speed Reduced From 2Mbps to 256 kbps

Ankit Dayal

Regular
ISP
MTNL Freedom 995
I have been using MTNL Triband 749NU plan since February 2008.I was getting 2 mbps speed.My net connection stopped working 3 days ago.MTNL guys told me that there was some problem with their server.I got back my internet connectivity today afternoon, but to my surprise i found that my internet speed has been reduced to 256 kbps.Plz suggest me what to do.

they have put IPTV in your area thats y u getting slow speedscheck some other threads and u'll find more people like you.

even if those people have put IPTV in my area, what has that got to do with I getting slow speed.i mean i have'nt applied for IPTV.

IPTV requires higher bandwidth, so why reducing speeds after enabling IPTV? What's the logic behind this?

I think since IPTV requires you to have anywhere from 4 to 6mbps line rate, and MTNL having faulty lines in some areas they are not wanting to take any chances with interference among the 3 signals which would use the same twin pair copperwires.currently MTNL is has DSLAM line cards compatible with G.dmt modulation type rather than the ADSL2+ compatible ones.The ADSL1 or G.Dmt line card only support upto 12Mbps or on average 9Mbps to most homes. Now if they give 2mbps to internet and the remaining bandwidth to the IPTV there is a bigger possibility of interference. If they switched to ADSL2+ which allows upto 25mbps bandwidth they might be able to give both service without any problems.Few other factors I would like to add...MTNL has a lot of noise on most of their phone line which adds to signal weakening. Also their techs are not highly trained to handle situations such as this.. PS - The above mentioned factors are not confirmed and may only be correct upto a certain limit.

If your argument is true, its better not to launch IPTV. Instead concentrate on providing a stable 2mbps BB. Later on MTNL/BSNL can thing of giving IPTV when they have actually upgraded all their systems to ADSL2+.

You can confirm it by checking the modulation type in your modems.Check line rate too. If possible please upload screen shots.:)

damn! this is so annoying, why the hell r they capping speeds of guys who hasn't even applied for Iptv??..Its high time that some higher officials from MTNL should seriously consider this situation and do something about it or else people r gonna throw mtnl..well, i had no issues with mtnl for almost 14 months but from last 2 months lot of new issues have arised, even their ****in DNS servers r good for nothing.we need to use Opendns for that purpose, anyways what about those people who dont have any technical knowledge and the people who entirely depend on mtnl for a stable connection.redicoulous:@

Back