BSNL 3g roaming on MTNL Mumbai network.

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 24,821
It means BSNL 3G will work with MTNL Mumbai without any roaming charges, but without 3G. Thats sad :cry:

Originally Posted by netguru1 View Post
Folks,

I own E1752 and UMG1831. I'm from Bangalore...just came to Mumbai today. I have 2 BSNL 3G sim cards: one from Bangalore and other one from Ahmedabad (Gujarat). I've never had success using Bangalore sim card in BSNL west region (that's a totally different issue...details here: BSNL 3G sim bought in Bangalore does not work in Gujarat )

Here's my findings (in Mumbai..in all cases the modem does show up 3G Dolphin network)
- E1752 with Bangalore SIM (Error 169)
- E1752 with Ahmedabd SIM (Error 169)
- UMG1831 with Bangalore SIM (Does not connect with message: Incorrect username and password on domain..not sure what that means)
- UMG1831 with Ahmedabad SIM (works PERFECTLY FINE)

Getting speed of about 1-2 mbps. Also, I have signed up for Rs222 - 512MB plan. In MTNL Dolphin network also it uses data from the same 512MB quota

Hope this data helps..let me know if anyone needs more info while I'm still in Mumbai

Tomorrow I'm visiting Ahmedabad and will post results from there also.

BTW..just FYI...both SIM cards work perfectly fine in Bangalore with UMG1831.

if this is true then i dont know why many people have not done this already ..

Thanks praz for repostingFolks,with BSNL 3G sim (atleast from Ahmedabad), you are able to log in to MTNL's 3G network when in Mumbai. works like a charm with my UMG1831. Speeds of about 1-2 mbps in the location I was staying. Same data plan used and no roaming charges

I have got a BSNL 3G SIM and have recharged with data voucher for Rs.222 which gives 500MB free data usage. Let me try this in Mumbai tomorrow when I commute. Will post the outcome.

I have got a BSNL 3G SIM and have recharged with data voucher for Rs.222 which gives 500MB free data usage. Let me try this in Mumbai tomorrow when I commute. Will post the outcome.

From where did you purchase the SIM?

Actually its my Dad's number which he no longer uses. Recently he had got an SMS stating that 3G services has been activated for free on this number. I have started using BSNL purely for GPRS on my Samsung Galaxy 3, which is useless without GPRS (was using Tata Docomo with Rs.48 GPRS pack, but speed is pathetic). For voice calls and SMS i use Vodafone as it has the best network here in Mumbai and Maharashtra circle.

I confirm that BSNL 3G SIM of Maharashtra circle is working on MTNL Mumbai Network with good speed (around 300kbps when I tested). The home rates apply and the free data usage also apply. The browsing speed was impressive when I was commuting in train. But strangely in my office I am unable to select MTNL network. I don't know what's the problem. Its keeps saying 'Selected network (Dolphin) unavailable'. I am not able to select even 2G network, it keeps giving the same error. Hope its a temporary problem...

Are you using with your mobile or a data card ? The speeds and the signal will be much better with a data card.

Are you using with your mobile or a data card ? The speeds and the signal will be much better with a data card.

I am using it in my mobile (Samsung Galaxy 3 i5801). Strangely in my office i am unable to select MTNL's 3G network. When i switch to 2G and select MTNL network, it works, but with EDGE.

Back