BSNL 3G settings for Google Nexus S

• Thread starter Thread starter srini_n
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 14,475

srini_n

ISP
Airtel
Hi, I live in Bangalore and would like to know if anyone has been successful in using 3G with Nexus S. If yes, can you please post the settings that needs to be done to get it working? Thanks,Srini

I dont have a Nexus S but these settings should be applicable to Android phones check it out - Android phone 3G setup with BSNL 3G[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic : where and for how much did you get the nexus S for ?
I got mine from a friend coming back from the US.

but is available on ebay.in as ell around 34K

Iam using Nexus-s with both BSNL 3 G sim as well as Vodaphone 3G (under trial) - in Hyderabad & Chennai.
Right now Iam typing this in my notebook with NeXus -S set up'd local wifi using BSNL 3G sim (under old u/l plans -so speed capped @1Mbps).
New 3G data/general plans with meter should give 1 to 3.5 Mbps depending on the signal.
Voda in nexus -s giving 4 to 4.5 mbps here in chennai.
My working APN settings for Android for BSNL 3G :
Name:bsnlnet (can be anything)
APN: bsnlnet
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS port:
MCC:404
MNC:64 (MCC & MNC will come automatically and differs from region to region -I think)
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: Not set
I dont want bsnl live and bsnl tv. so I have not used it.

I dont have a Nexus S but these settings should be applicable to Android phones check it out - Android phone 3G setup with BSNL 3G[/URL]

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried similar settings from the video but when I try and save the APN, nothing happens and when I go back to the APN settings I cant see the APN I just saved. The list is empty!! A few of the settings in the Video are not available in the Nexus S like the "Network Mode" & "MMS Protocol". My Nexus S is running 2.3.2 and I havent received the 2.3.3 OTA yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam using Nexus-s with both BSNL 3 G sim as well as Vodaphone 3G (under trial) - in Hyderabad & Chennai.
Right now Iam typing this in my notebook with NeXus -S set up'd local wifi using BSNL 3G sim (under old u/l plans -so speed capped @1Mbps).
New 3G data/general plans with meter should give 1 to 3.5 Mbps depending on the signal.
Voda in nexus -s giving 4 to 4.5 mbps here in chennai.
My working APN settings for Android for BSNL 3G :
Name:bsnlnet (can be anything)
APN: bsnlnet
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS port:
MCC:404
MNC:64 (MCC & MNC will come automatically and differs from region to region -I think)
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: Not set
I dont want bsnl live and bsnl tv. so I have not used it.

Thanks for the settings. Unfortunately it doesnt work for me. When I try and save the APN, nothing happens. I cant even go back to the APN settings and find what I saved.

I think I found the reason. It appears that one cannot change the MCC & MNC values to any other specified by the service provider. In this case BSNL has different values for different states. I followed the this link to setup the APN and it worked. Basically used the defaults values for the APN.

BSNL 3G

Thanks for all the inputs to this question. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Back