BSNL BBG Combo ULD 1199 to offer 2mbps Unlimited & unlimited local/std calls for Rs. 1199

thanx meetdilip. Currently I'm on BB 649 plan where I should get 2Mbps till 15GB post FUP i should get 1Mbps. If I understood rightly, Line profile should be set to 2Mbps or whichever the speed I'm subscribed to. Right ???

In simple words, you get the speed that is set at your port. Whatever it may be.

Thanks. Does it mean that everytime FUP is crossed, BSNL changes the port speed at exchange to poST FUP speed ??? Does this happen manually or automatic ?

Think of it this way. Line speed is thickness of the broadband pipes. Speed is still controlled by the software. If the line is not thick enough, the water would flow at a slow speed even if there is enough water available to flow through. Line speed should be more than the package speed as there is some speed loss as the distance from the exchange increase. Internet speed is managed by BSNL servers.

In my case, the line speed was set at 4000kbps on 4mbps plan. I would never have gotten 4mbps because 4000 < 4096. Plus because of the distance, the actual speeds I got was around 3.0-3.2. Once they increased the line speed to 6000kbps, speeds increased to 3.5-3.6mbps. Sometimes more if the congestion on the network was less.

The problem with line speed is that line quality goes down as the speed is increased. So ISPs tend to keep it low if the last mile wiring is of poor connectivity. There are a lot of factors involved. As long as the SNR etc. values are extremely good, increase in line speed by 2mbps should not hurt.

well the modem generally shows it in kbps. not sure what values bsnl enter at their end. kbps seems logical.

Can someone let me know how I can explain to BSNL in "BSNL friendly" terms about upgrading my DSL line profile? I want to change to the 2 Mbps UL plan and with my current configuration, the max I get is 1.7 Mbps, with a 2048 kbps DSL sync rate / line profile, so wanted to get my line issues fixed before upgrading. I am almost 3-4 km from the exchange and probably due overheads my speed is reduced (as Ouch explained earlier) and would need a higher line rate to get the full 2 Mbps.

I raised a complaint and escalated it via Twitter, and someone (I wasn't at home and from the way he spoke over phone, didn't sound like the usual line man, but a senior officer at the local exchange) came to my house (Escalation via Twitter does work). I tried to explain to him that I am not able to utilise the full 2 Mbps due to the overheads and a low sync speed / line profile. He didn't seem to understand what I was asking and was trying to explain how their FUP policy works. I politely told him I am well aware of how FUP works and I was referring to pre FUP speeds.

But he was not ready to accept that the line profile can be increased, he seemed to think that I was asking him to increase my plan speed it self without paying for a higher plan.

So can someone please tell me how I can explain to the BSNL guys on what needs to be done to get my line profile increased to say 3 Mbps?

I doubt there is a definitive way. Go to your exchange. Talk to the guy in charge. Try to get him to process your line speed increase. If nothing else works, file a complaint with the BSNL appellate authority.

Better upgrade your plan to a higher speed 4mbps or more. Otherwise I dont think 4mbps profile or port will provide for 2mbps plan.

Back