BSNL Internet Connect Card

• Thread starter Thread starter pmadhan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 118,305
Started using the card.As pmadhan said, only 1x network available. And hence the speed is at around 140-150kbps at its best.

Hi pmadan,I am staying in Rajajinagar, bangalore. Today i met the BSNL guys here in Rajajinagar but they are saying the EVDO is not working properly thats what users complaining about EVDO. hello kgthegreat and pmadan, how is it working for you?BTW, what documents have to produce? i am staying in a PG. They said they won't accept rent receipts and first of all they won't give connection for people staying in PG. is this true? Anybody have the EVDO and using it in Rajajinagar area? if so please update me how its working here.eagerly waiting to own EVDO :)

I am from Chandigarh originally, but now live in New York. I am very interested about the idea of being connected while in India is what got me to this forum.

There are a few things to know before you get all gaga about the EVDO. The EVDO is the evolution of CDMA 1XRTT. When you connect to the service provider (in this case BSNL) your connection to the provider will be at max of 2.4 mbps, then the backhaul (the part from the cell tower to the service providers’ central office, and from there to their internet switch). The CDMA 1X has the same fate, so the speeds of 140+kbps are really good as there is no congestion on the way.

The EVDO cards available today are backwards compatible, in fact they give you a choice of connecting exclusively (either EVDO or 1X, so you can hard-lock the card to work only on EVDO or 1X and no automatic switching is available between them) or hybrid (either EVDO or 1X, what ever is available, and switch between them automatically).
Since the BSNL website is not carrying enough information on even WLL, it surely is lacking all information on EVDO and even CDMA 1X.
Soon Tata and Reliance will launch EVDO, and if you live/work in their coverage areas it is better to be there, else BSNL is the only choice. I have a BSNL CellOne number just of the simple reason that I travel to rural areas in India for tourism and only BSNL is available (a signal search shows no other provider). Make a choice as you have to stick to the modem you buy.

For email it is better to use plain text email and open an account on a POP3/IMAP server like www.gmail.com so that email is accessible even in low bandwidth conditions, and for IM use Trillian Messenger that connects in a way that avoids the advertisement traffic in certain IM programs like Yahoo/MSN/ICQ.

For the information of the group please post ping and tracert details to www.yahoo.com to see the traffic times and delays on the BSNL CDMA(EVDO/1X) network.

I have been using it now for a while and trying to put it thro' some tests. CDMA/WLL signal is not all that great - tingI had only a single stick strength. Network monitor showed it consistently operating between 40 to 80% of bandwidth most often.I turned off, my BSNL wireless and have been on EVDO this weekend. Not bad, I would say. Met my mail, im, news, cricinfo score, offline mail sync needs pretty decently. Yeah, pretty slow compared to the 2Mbps broadband line, but usable.So, when EVDO is finally launched (atleast in BLR it's still only CDMA 1x), though it may not give 2.4Mbps, even if you get 1/4 that speed, probably it's a good deal.Regarding the connectivity speeds between the tower and central offce, a valid concern, but given the situation of how BSNL speeds and QOS has been wrt to home broadband connections, I would expect BSNL would be good on that count.Let's keep the fingers crossed, and see how things are once EVDO is launched.

Dear frenz
wanna kno bout dis..
:(Plzzz Reply bangaloreans who r usin evdo card presently..even i stay in bangalore(slightly outskirts..near art of livin)
ma questionz r
1) here sum ppl r tellin 600/month unlimited usage..n also sum otherz r tellin i got 992 as dis monthz bil..so is it 600+ xtra usage charge??
2) is it workz nywer in bangalore?? here many r tellin dat v need to hv cdma tower...so hw can i get 2 kno whether in ma place cdma connectivety is der o not??? ***bsnl gsm signals r der***
3)hw much v need to pay in de beginin if i wana buy dis for rental???
4)v need to hv bsnl landline or mobile phone wid us inorder 2 get dis connection...cuz m usin airtel connection in ma mob n even v don hv bsnl landline concn too...
5) finally ma frenz hw u ppl r feelin bout dis??? i mean is u ppl r feelin dis as a gud choice than airtelz mob office...(considerin speed n last but not de least **cost**)
waitin for ur reply...bangaloreanz plzzzz do reply for dis.....
thanx in advance......if possible reply to ma mail also so dat i can forward dis 2 ma other frenz....ma mail id is *** [email protected]***
thanx again....

@PMADHAN

hey madhan r u frm bangalore??? wer did u got dis card??? n hw cum v get to kno whether wll signals r der in ma place o not??? plzzzzz reply

hey **Pmadhan*** r u der??

hey jyothi i hv seen dat website before postin here...r u usin it nw??? if so wer r u frm??? hw u feelin bout it??hey Jyothi u der???? got ma msgs o wat???

huh:( no one here is replyin for ma queiry.....:madness:.... is wll means cdma network??? do i need 2 hv a cdma phone 2 get dis evdo??? hw vil i get 2 kno whteher dis cdma signal is der in ma place???***cuz i liv in slightly outskirts of bangalore**** n i don hv cdma phone 2 chekout.... hope atleast a single bangalorean vil help me out in dis.......

Hi All, Yesterday only got one new EVDO card..1.U dont need any CDMA phones to use this.2.In city range its good (heard from people using it).3.In rural it depends and not that good.4.Cost initial investment 1500Rs which BSNL people are telling refundable.5.Rent not sure few are telling 650 (including modem rental) few are telling 850 + tax. It is not activated so once activated i will give you further informations.So if anybody else using this for last few months can share your experience and billing details. Thanksh2evdo

Back