BSNL is inserting ads in websites, sending their users to malware sites through malware code injection

encrypted dns. using something like nextdns or simple dnscrypt. it basically uses https for your dns queries so they cannot be modified by your isp. excitel and some other shitty isps would basically intercept your dns queries and process them using their own servers.

I still believe BSNL is not using DPI like airtel and jio.
If they are using dpi for snooping then they would use it for blocking https sites.

VPN is the best option.

A custom VPN setup can be created using $5 droplet on DigitalOcean and some free open source software's.

1. Wireguard VPN
2. Pihole
3. Unbound DNS with Root Nameservers

Or else

Use a Raspberry PI 3B+ to create a custom DNS server using:

1. Stubby DNS with DOT(DNS over TLS) and DNSSEC
2. Pihole for network level blocking

I don't know if using stubby would stop the ads from BSNL but it is still a good DNS setup for any home network.

Yeah, perhaps selectively routing non-HTTPS traffic through a VPN would do as well. On OpenWRT with mwan3 it can be easily done.

Although I personally wouldn't prefer using a VPN for all traffic cause I don't like to have a VPN client on each device, in which case I would need to setup the VPN client on my router (or some other always on device). In that case the router would become a performance bottle neck, unless I get a more beefier device for the VPN.

Also, most blacklists doesn't seem to have the domains used by BSNL for the malware/adware so those need to manually blocked. I'll see if I can get the domains I mentioned in the earlier posts to couple of blacklists.

So I checked the throughput when routed through ZeroTier on my OpenWRT WD MyNet N750 router. This is a pretty old router with just a 560 Mhz single core CPU and I was able to get only about 5-6 Mbps both up and down. Will need to test with a router with more resources! ;)

Yeah. You can setup DOT, DOH or Recursive together running on different ports as primary and backup DNS for Pihole. I have used Dnscrypt for 6Months. Currently, I am using stubby. Stubby setup is much easier to configure compared to Dnscrypt.