Can I plug in GPON/EPON into an SFP Port on a network switch and get rid of ONT?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 37,687
It might, cause it takes care of all GPON/EPON stuff and just gives you an interface. If I already had an SFP capable device I might have just bought it for educational purposes, but now to try it, I need to get an SFP supported device and this. 💸 💰

It certainly has a web UI, that is what I meant, it is basically putting a regular chinese ONU inside that form factor. You can use the web UI to clone ONU parameters like the serial, and other things so that it is able to register with the OLT.

Yep, I had seen that as well, but to be honest, I was confused by the description. Doesn't look like it would work on a managed switch. The more expensive 50 USD one might work.

Don't make your bets on cloning from chinese ont/onu config files, they lie, some details might be missing or mangled intentionally by unit and it will give you lot of headache

I don't have first hand experience, but the feedback on TP-Links Easy Smart switches isn't so good for the managed features. Not sure how well the VLAN related options work on it.

I had my eye on that as well at first as it looked cheap, but then there were discouraging reviews here and there. I don't remember exactly what were the problems. The Netgear managed switch appeared better.

There is also another more expensive Netgear model with POE and SFP, definitely 4x more costly, but the POE would definitely help if you want to add APs later.

@JB700 I was just going through Alibaba and came across this product from V-Sol, V2801F SFP ONU stick. Same OEM (or maybe just a large scale distributor) for the Netlink/Syrotech devices. This is the ONU stick variant with MAC, so has a web UI to manage.

They said it costs about 20 USD per unit, supports EPON/GPON, and only bridge mode. I'm tempted to simply try it out. 😅

Attachments

Yeah those are OLT modules, can't be used as ONU unfortunately.

The one I mentioned above is an ONU module from V-Sol, Netlink's OEM. Cheapest ONU SFP module with options to change serial and auth parameters I found so far.

Back