Can I plug in GPON/EPON into an SFP Port on a network switch and get rid of ONT?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 37,687
So more for curiosity and educational reasons, I thought to give this a try. I already have a SFP capable TP-Link switch. Came across relatively cheap GPON SFP units for sale in eBay Italy

Huawei MA5671A - Huawei MA5671A
ZYXEL PMG3000 - Zyxel PMG3000-D20B

Both seem to have a decent support in changing serial and things like that. So ordered one of each, will give it a shot. 😅

@hariselio Sure. I haven’t received it yet. Italy Post apparently sucks, took 10 days to deliver the package some 75 Km away. IndiaPost rocks in comparison.

Yep, I’m getting it through Aramex ShopAndShip which is also slow when forwarding from Italy, in transit for 10 days now.

@JB701 I have an IEC, although the category wise duty for an SFP module seem to be 30 or 40% anyway, so not much savings for having an IEC, sadly.
Will know once it reaches India.

Had received the units 1-2 weeks back. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, as I am not at the location where I have the devices with SFP cages.

HhUsHzY.jpg

AKhtvYU.jpg

RScYsV7.jpg

@JB701 My last SnS shipment was in 2020-2021 I guess, and that time it was cleared with IEC without any issue. This time idk if they have changed any process, but the KYC didn't get tagged to the shipment automatically (my KYC is already with Aramex, and usually it is automatically tagged). Nor did I get any SMS or email with the link to upload the KYC.

Then the drama with SnS person started, who has no clue other than following some SOP. Even if you call customer care, you get redirected to SnS. Despite showing multiple BOE documents cleared with IEC from my previous shipments as recent as Nov 2022, this person was reciting the same thing like a parrot about needing AD code, GST certificate and stuff.

Since the invoice value from the seller was around 800 INR, I just asked to get it cleared as personal shipment. Savings with IEC is probably 100-200 Rs, not worth the hassle I suppose.
Next time I will try getting a shipment directly through Aramex (not via SnS) to see if they'd use my existing IEC KYC.

Back