Confirmed, changing serial number in ONT works

• Thread starter Thread starter rajil.s
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 29,310
try converting it to hex code, try both caps and small letter serial nos, idk which one works.

remove spaces from the converted code

try converting it to hex code, try both caps and small letter serial nos, idk which one works.

remove spaces from the converted code btw
My sercomm ont has s.no in the format SROTBC03xxxx. Is ur ont having 12 character serial number or 16 character serial number.

Just requesting some help with changing serial number for the device TP-Link XZ2000-G3. It has a validation for 16 digit hex serial. Any help to get over this validation would be appreciated.
Hi, Please check the OLT vendor code format (ASCII or HEX) if it ASCII i.e Char format then convert the HEX to ASCII and then try again.

@JB701 @mktshaikh I too bought a TP-Link XZ000-G3 ONT/ONU like @chandandutta while my OEM ONT/router/AP combo provided by BSNL is Netlink HG323-RGW with serial number in the format GPON0012ABCD. Converting this 12 letter S/N from ASCII to Hexadecimal makes it 24 characters 47504f4e3030313241424344 which TP-Link will not accept. It requires exactly 16 valid hex digits.

Making matters worse is no documentation on TP-Link's website (or anywhere else on the internet) for this product.

What I've tried so far:
  • Tried entering the hex 3030313241424344 without the GPON part and it didn't register.
  • Tried entering the first 16 digits of the S/N hex 47504f4e30303132 and it didn't register.
  • Very interestingly and in desperation I tried entering the hex for GPON 47504f4e together with the rest of the S/N as is 0012ABCD and it registers for a few seconds before redoing the registration process again.
All ideas in troubleshooting is greatly appreciated!

Ok so i created a script for scanning all the vlans from 1 to 4092 for pppoe servers, it works on the pppoe server I created for testing inside a vlan, the pppoe server shows up when connected to ZTE router. I've no clue what is going on.
Hey @JB701, can you provide the script on gist or something? I recently bought the TP-Link XZ000-G3, changed my PON SN to the one in ZTE, and PON is in a "Registered (O5)" state but I'm facing a similar issue of no PADO response to PPPoE PADI beacons.

Another thing, there were multiple options under Vlan Configuration on the ONT itself.

What did you set it to? I've tried Controlled by OLT, Vlan Tagged, and Transparent Mode.

the second post. you can use wireshark to scan packets. i tried mine on transparent so the vlan passes through the ont to the laptop for scanning.

I think I've figured out the problem here. I came across this YouTube video, where the guy replaces his ISP-provided GPON gateway with an SFP module and OpenWRT router.

Now, he did mention that some ISPs use MAC-based authentication, hence he changed SFP's mac address as well. Now I assume, the TP-Link ONT registers itself but fails on MAC authorization since we didn't change the MAC address of the ONT, just the GPON SN.

TP-Link ONT can change it too, but not via web GUI I did telnet into the ONT and there are various options under the sys config menu "sys macShow" and "sys macSet" are among those options. The problem now is, it says "Invalid Parameter" with macShow and any other show command or dumpCfg command. If only I could find a suitable CLI manual or reference for this ONT.

Does anyone have any idea if I can replace TataPlay Nokia ONT with The TP-Link one? I have admin access for the Hex Password but not sure what authentication method is being used here.

There is another GPON SFP https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0BNVNM386/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that has 2.5G support (I believe if you have an SFP+ cage this will get you full gigabit on fiber connections) but I want something that is a bit cheaper and something which someone has tried already.

Back