Consumer Court Or FIR?

• Thread starter Thread starter jeetz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 5,695
Hi,
I have stayed in a PG accomodation for few months at bangalore. This was in 2010. It was a pretty posh accomodation and had an Airtel Broadband connection in the place. The connection was in the name of PG owner, who didn't paid the bills and ran off with money last year.
Since then, I have been getting calls to pay the bills from Airtel's collection department. This connection was not in my name, or never even requested by me. Airtel does not even have the request forms for broadband, as I never ever requested one. I have mentioned this to the collections department multiple times. but the calls are not stopping. I have mentioned that there is a possibility of owner giving a random guests address too. But I got told to find the owner and make him pay, like if it is my responsibility to go on a manhunt against him.
Last week I got a legal notice by mail to appear in some court in bangalore. I have moved from the city so I can't serve the notice. Since it will cause legal problems later, I need a way to stop this legal notice thing right away. I have reached Airtel by facebook, twitter, and call, but all I got is canned response saying "we are working on the issue".
I want to take Airtel to court for this issue as it has created nothing but headaches for me. I am not sure though, as to what is the best course of action here. Should I file an FIR against Airtel for mental torture or something like that? Or should I file a case in consumer court? Or should i respond with a legal notice from my side? I am pretty confused. If any of you can help me, please do let me know. You can also drop me an email at [email protected].

P.S. Apologies for asking it here, but I figured this might be the best place to look for help. Kindly direct me elsewhere otherwise.

A legal notice can not ask you to appear in a court. It is simply a formality by one side to intimate the other that they wish to start court proceedings against the other side. Only a summon issued by a court can ask you to appear before it. You may reply to this legal notice, or you may not - totally your choice. Many times legal notices are sent just to intimidate the other party and get the work done. A legal notice by no means results in a court case by default.

You have not signed any forms with ID copies for broadband right?
if you were there only for a short time, hoe does airtel collection dept know your current address since you say ,you are not in bangalore ?

is there any online submission of complain ........need to file petition.......i heard there is online group of advocates who deals the cases......

rodeoz said:
A legal notice can not ask you to appear in a court. It is simply a formality by one side to intimate the other that they wish to start court proceedings against the other side. Only a summon issued by a court can ask you to appear before it. You may reply to this legal notice, or you may not - totally your choice. Many times legal notices are sent just to intimidate the other party and get the work done. A legal notice by no means results in a court case by default.
Wow! that takes the pressure off. Although, I still wish to end it forever, so thinking of taking legal action against them.

obeliex said:
You have not signed any forms with ID copies for broadband right?
if you were there only for a short time, hoe does airtel collection dept know your current address since you say ,you are not in bangalore ?
No. I haven't signed any broadband forms, although I have signed for sim. But I guess that is a different case, right.
Also, in PG, I was supposed to give permanent address, contact info etc. as it is mandatory. I am not sure, why owner will give it to Airtel though.
beekeys said:
is there any online submission of complain ........need to file petition.......i heard there is online group of advocates who deals the cases......
I have no idea, if there is any. I want to make sure, that I take right action here. Taking legal action against a big MNC is scary business, so have to be perfectly sure it is correct.

Just a tip, in case you're currently using any other airtel service, they'll mess around with that too.

So, Airtel is asking a person to pay the bill of a connection that is not in his name in the first place? This is hilariously bad.

when the connection was not in your name, how come they are serving legal notice to you, this certainly needs to be dealt with authorities at reliance
and if they refuse to co-operate consumer court would certainly help you solve this harassment along with compensation.
who gave them authority to collect dues from you when you never gave written guarantee/contract to have them collect bill amount for someone else's connection.

Back