DD Tamil (Podhigai) gone from Tata Sky DTH?

• Thread starter Thread starter dyna
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 10,667
I think this stupid move by Tata Sky is prompted because of money considerations.Because, elsewhere in another thread, there is news that Tatasky is going to add Zee Tamil and another comedy channel.All tamilians know that the viewership of channels like ZeeTamil etc are hundred times smaller than the popular DD Pothigai. In fact, in almost major part of Chennai, the Zee Tamil channel is not even available in cable.The only reason why this nonsense is being attempted by Tata Sky is because ZeeTamil is desparate to get viewership numbers and are willing to pay HUGE carriage fee.In this game of carriage fee and obsolete technology (MPEG2), Customer's requirements do not even count!!!

All tamilians know that the viewership of channels like ZeeTamil etc are hundred times smaller than the popular DD Pothigai. In fact, in almost major part of Chennai, the Zee Tamil channel is not even available in cable.

In chennai major part of the cable is dominated by SCV cable and they provide Zee Tamil Channel both in normal cable and CAS STB.......infact hathway cables in chennai too are providing Zee Tamil in both the platforms.......it means in chennai all the cable operators are providing Zee Tamil...........but as you said the real fact is that the viewership of zee tamil when compared to Podigai is very minimal to zee minimal.........

It is not that this channel has DD been Podhigai has been removed so there could be better way to get in full screen rather than missing out on Zee Tamil too.

Is it need to continue with Tata Sky?I have tried in my area to check demo for Videocon D2H but most of shops yet to be installed. Hope to check this week end. If anybody checked please reply back the same.I verified one shop guy and he told me Podhigai channel disconnected in TataSky DTH and no sales last two moths.:)He makes demo for BIG TV and same as other shoppers too because of commission more, i guess.

I think peoples not think to buy DTH and they are comfortable with cable operators and SUN groups (channels) in Tamil Nadu.Hope to back again cable operator?? :|:|

Karthikeyan sh,

I think peoples not think to buy DTH and they are comfortable with cable operators and SUN groups (channels) in Tamil Nadu.

Hope to back again cable operator?? :|:|

Cable opeartor is anyday better. At various other threads in this forum, I have made this point. I have found that many others also agree with me on this.

The advantages of local cables are...

1. Cheaper cost
2. Local channels - local city channels, local news channels, cable movie channels (latest pirated movies...)
3. No buying of STB. They give you the box and also charge you rental for this.
4. No installation hassles. You don't need opening in south east like all DTH guys.
5. No break in service due to rains
6. Almost immediate and personal service.
7. Possibility to confront the cablewallah with service problems each month when you are paying the fee. You have a chance to improve things.
8. More channels - no spectrum constraint
9. Community support. All building and neighbourhood is with the same guy. So, generally problems / service levels are same. We can join together and talk to him
10. If you are not there for a month on vacation, You can talk to cable wallah and stop payment - pay minimum. But, in DTH, once paid this is gone...

The benefits of owning a DTH are far greater than cable operators who reccuringly disconnect giving lame reasons of some fibre work going on. As of movies there is no personal choice involved as the time and type of movies lies on the cable guy. There may be outages sometime but that is only in overcast situations. The cable guy in our area use to visit only once a month that too to collect the cable fee not otherwise if we faced missing channel problems. They want to confront us when we call them later for collecting payment they charge penalty per day. Dth too have temporary suspension plans.

I don't accept all of your points.
All points are purely subjective.
Take for example we are paying just Rs 120 in Tata Sky for watching just regional channels.
If we opted for cable connection, we could have been paying around Rs 260.
I am talking about the charges in Bangalore.

Just because cable operator comes to your home to collect bill, You can't bargain a single penny from him.
No cable operator will accept to temporarily suspend their service because if you where not in home or accept a reduced payment.

Service consistency also poor as Cable operator has power cut problems.
Karthikeyan sh,

Cable opeartor is anyday better. At various other threads in this forum, I have made this point. I have found that many others also agree with me on this.

The advantages of local cables are...

1. Cheaper cost
2. Local channels - local city channels, local news channels, cable movie channels (latest pirated movies...)
3. No buying of STB. They give you the box and also charge you rental for this.
4. No installation hassles. You don't need opening in south east like all DTH guys.
5. No break in service due to rains
6. Almost immediate and personal service.
7. Possibility to confront the cablewallah with service problems each month when you are paying the fee. You have a chance to improve things.
8. More channels - no spectrum constraint
9. Community support. All building and neighbourhood is with the same guy. So, generally problems / service levels are same. We can join together and talk to him
10. If you are not there for a month on vacation, You can talk to cable wallah and stop payment - pay minimum. But, in DTH, once paid this is gone...

raddy,

I don't accept all of your points.
All points are purely subjective.
Take for example we are paying just Rs 120 in Tata Sky for watching just regional channels.
If we opted for cable connection, we could have been paying around Rs 260.
I am talking about the charges in Bangalore.

Just because cable operator comes to your home to collect bill, You can't bargain a single penny from him.
No cable operator will accept to temporarily suspend their service because if you where not in home or accept a reduced payment.

Service consistency also poor as Cable operator has power cut problems.

Raddy,

We should compare costs for the same packages when we are comparing costs. Cable gives you as many channels as a DTH but for less costs. Hence, it is not subjective but factual to say that the costs are lower.
DTH also bundles a set of channels into packages. Cablewallah also packages this. If you don't want some channels, you can eliminate certain packages in DTH but not individual channels. Hence, You always end up with some unwanted and some wanted - mixed - packages.
Further, you are in Bengaluru and therefore you are not aware of CAS system in Metros like Chennai, Mumbai etc. Here also, basic packages are there and addon packages are there for STB based CAS system.

2. If your cablewallah does not reduce the amount for "prolonged" absence, then you do not have a digital cable (i.e. STB based system). In STB based system, You can reduce the packages.

3. I have lived at many places in Chennai, Delhi and now at Mumbai. I have always found the cablewallahs flexible if you tell them I am not there for a month or so. They normally declare only 10% of the total connections. Hence, It is not a problem for them to reduce the money. Also, You can reduce the STB packages to only basic package and save on all the extra packages. This will cost only Rs.96 plus taxes as per TRAI prescribed rates. They can't charge more than this.

I hope I have clarified to you...

Dth also provides active service which is not available with cable operators.

Back