DTH operators seek dropping of set-top box compatibility clause

• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,639
Along with interoperability clause, TRAI must also insist that DTH operators must not insist on compulsory purchase of STB from them and allow customers to buy the STBs from the open market; this will partially blunt the sting. As with cell phones which allow dual sim cards, the customers may be allowed to subscribe to more than one operator at the same time using a single stb and special prism antennae for catching multiple satellites.

I have started a poll in this issue. Please participate in this and I am sure more than 90% of the people in this forum will be interested in having interpolability.
So far 100% people voting for Yes, including me, although technically I know it is now too late for DISH/Tata Sky to make any changes in technically with less investment. Now any upgradtion for MPEG4 or encryption means setting up from scratch. Only option remains is to atleast provide option of CAM interface (like DISH already does) and provide CAM+card so users can use it in any CAM supporting STB

I agree too: IO should be allowed. DTH STBs should not be provided by the DTH providers, but by equipment manufacturers. Subsribers should have the freedom to choose their service providers or switch them in the event of mediocre services, solely by changing their DTH Account card .Off topic here, but I can see Sunil Mittal loosing more hair on his head, due to the ongoing DTH war. He may own the No. 1 Telecom Company in India, but past success is not an indication for the future. Moreover, he will the 6th DTH Service provider (after DD Direct Plus, Zee's Dish TV, Tata Sky, Reliance's BIG TV and SUN DTH). Videocon thinks its smart too. It will be the 7th provider.Wow..I just voted and as of now all 15 people say yes to IO. Kewl..!

I Insist that DTH Set top Boxes to be interoperable.But existing providers cant take all the blame.Our Government is so slow that they will add recomendations and amendments only after it is 3/4th popular in india.They should have added this Mpeg 4 clause way before in 2004.When DTH is at its nascent Stage.Support me if I am correct.

What is a CAM supporting STB? Please expand CAM for me and why cheap STBs of Chineese / Taiwan make is not available in markets in India with Viewing Cards?

What is a CAM supporting STB? Please expand CAM for me and why cheap STBs of Chineese / Taiwan make is not available in markets in India with Viewing Cards?
CAM is Conditiona Access Module (Conditional access module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
CAM device has built in encryption and act as card reader. We can get various encrypting supporting CAM's and then we can use it with cards provided by provider. But for using CAM's we need STB's having CAM Interface (CI) support. (I guess DISHTV STB have CI support) Also other important thing is Cards given by provider should be open & not paired with STB's.
About Chinese STB's, they are available but only for FTA reception, because Viewing cards are only given by operators and not available in open market.
Search Google Images for "Conditional Access Module" to know how it exactly looks and you will get clear picture about it

Back