• Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 162,234
Status
Not open for further replies.

John7777

ISP
BSNL EVDO
Guys,

I just switched to the wireless broadband bandwagon and I just thought to share my happy experience. In Cochin, BSNL has launched EV-DO services. I have been using this for the past one week at it just amazing performance. I recently did a testing with speedtest.net. it recorded 1032kbps download and 224kbps upload. The modem comes in two form factors, USB and PCMCIA. The only available plan is Rs.550 per month for unlimited internet access. You could rent the modem at Rs.200 per month or buy it outright at Rs.6500 one time payment. The other cool thing is that I'm now connected where ever I go with my laptop. I use a PCMCIA slot mode and you get EV-DO coverage at all major towns of Kerala. On the highways the card switch to CDMA and give speeds up to 144kbps. But the key thing I like is where ever you go you are connected and at the major towns with EV-DO the speed is amazing.

https://www.speedtest.net

direct link for the results --- https://www.speedtest.net/result/226268924.png

https://www.speedtest.net

im skeptical :Pwill wait for more reports from different people who have a high post count...

John Bro, you are really getting a nice ping. ;)I would really love to have a EVDO connection since I live outside the city where the medium for getting connected to the internet is onyl through BSNL GPRS with a pathetic speed of 1.5 kBsec and with a lot of lag.Here landline always goes off and when it's alive then there is lot of line noise which is hell if someone wants to go for a Dataone connection. :-(

@John7777 Oh that means we can use EV-DO card in the entire state. and not outside of our home circle. And the ping you reported is simply awesome. I don't get such pings even for BSNL Broadband!

@John7777 Oh that means we can use EV-DO card in the entire state. and not outside of our home circle. And the ping you reported is simply awesome. I don't get such pings even for BSNL Broadband!

that means...online games will work really great and noone will get votekicked for high ping.

hehe...srk...but your signature image shows 192ms ping... :P

@arnold991 The siggy shows speedtest result of Tata Indicom BB. :) For BSNL i'm ashamed of posting test results... :P pings of 700ms!!!

@arnold991 The siggy shows speedtest result of Tata Indicom BB. :) For BSNL i'm ashamed of posting test results... :P pings of 700ms!!!

bro srk, thx for the info... so it's better to get tata indicom if online gaming is the criterion for selecting the provider.

I got this as a private message in the forum.. but posting in the forum as public info as it would be useful for many, answers in BLUE

Hi John,
Today I read your thread about EVDO.

https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataon...ed-upto-2mbps/

Thx for all the info you have given but could u please answer some of my questions regarding BSNL Data Card:

1) Is Data Card PCMCIA slot card ?
Yes,data "card" is PCMCIA slot

2) And USB Modem not slot card but a USB Device and no PCMCIA card is needed when you purchase it ?
Yes, USB modem goes into the USB port
3) Is this info about outright purchase true:

a) PCMCIA Card - Rs4500/-
b) USB Modem - Rs6500/-
For EV-DO (upto 2.4 mbps) the out right purchase price is 6500 for USB and PCMCIA, Im not sure about the CDMA 1x card cost, may be you could check the BSNL website, I have seen CDMA 1x( upto 144kbps) with BSNL, Tata Indicom and Reliance. I have been using Tata PCMCIA card (Huawei make) before. That was real cool stuff too, gets your work done. wherever I go:-)

4) If I do outright purchase of above things then will it cost me monthly like this:

a) PCMCIA Card - Rs250 plus taxes only
b) USB Modem - Rs550 plus taxes only
Im not sure about the CDMA 1x tariffs, you could check with BSNL, Tata or Reliance. But for BSNL EVDO USB or PCMCIA it is 550 per month for unlimited access.

So only the above charges nothing else ?
I guess there would be some regular taxes every one have to pay ...not sure how much it could come to

5) And are the devices supplies by BSNL bear this model no. ?

a) PCMCIA Card - Huawei EC-321
b) USB Modem - ZET MG478/AC8700

I guess the Huawei EC-321 and ZTE MG478 are CDMA 1x (upto 144kbps). The EVDO (Upto 2.4 mbps) cards model numbers are ZTE-AC800( USB) and ZTE MY39 (PCMCIA)

6) Please also tell me about other cost involved other than Device Price also like:

Registration, Activation, Total Monthly charge when outright purchase is done,etc.

No charges

7) How much ping do you get when you ping any site ?

In Run Command type:
ping Google -t

And please tell me the ping in "ms", but please make sure no other applications uses the internet.

average is around 300ms

8) Any idea whether BSNL has done any modification to the device ?

I mean can we purchase Data Card or Modem from local shops to lower the cost when we buy it directly from BSNL ?

Not sure

9) If you could write a little bit about installation procedure then it would be great.
Its like installing any other device in your PC, comes with driver CD, run the driver, install it and insert the USB or PCMCIA and zooom :-)
I mean do they check the connectivity, strength of signal before giving EVDO connection ?

Yeah they have personnel who can come to check this
Hehe....I know there are many questions but please answer them brother.

Waiting for your reply friend

Thanks john777!That was really helpful, any idea if bsnl is going to revise the evdo charges since 550 for 2 mbps is way too less compared to others..!

i dont know ... i guess only BSNL would know ... :P hehe ... I guess with this pricing they going to make a killing in the market ... 550 is dirt cheap for such a wonderful connection with mobility ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back