EV-DO 2.4 mbps BSNL wireless modem- amazing speed upto 2Mbps

• Thread starter Thread starter John7777
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 162,234
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey John pal, you really one of the cool guys in this forum.

And the Credit for asking those informative questions goes to...goes to..Me...the Arnold991...

Hehe....I am the person who asked all these stuff to John, and he posted it here for the convenience of all...

Cheers for John :P :yahoo:
& Arnold Bro, Of Course :whistle:

Few more question:

1) So, you have cleared that for both 144kbps speed and 2.4mbps speed one modem and one pcmcia card is available.

But could you please check whether for 2.4mbps the modem is AC8700 or AC800 (as you have specified) ?

ZTEMT-Products & Solutions

2) So that means for 2.4mbps device both PCMCIA Card and USB Modem cost the same ? Rs6500
yes
3) Does that mean PCMCIA is intended for Laptops and USB modem for Desktops ? (hehe..)
USB can also be used with laptops. for desktops u get a cable along with the USB..so that you could place the modem on top of your monitor so that you get better signal and better coverage
4) So do I have to fill up the form at Main BSNL Office or at Local Exchange to get my connectivity checked ? And can I refuse later if the strength of the signal comes out to be below acceptable limit ?

5) So the person don't need to buy the device in advance before the connection is checked ? So can I fill the form with peace of mind without buying the connecting device ?
If requested, BSNL sends a person to check the connectivity at your place before installing it
6) As per the website of ZTE MG478 and MG8700 both support the 2.4mbps speed but not 3.1mbps supported by AC8710. So I think both can work for 2.4mbps connection.

if you use AC8710 which is \"EVDO revision A\", you could get peak rates of 3.1 mbps download and 1.8 mbps upload

Bro...please answer these questions...

I am just only worried about one thing what will happen if BSNL increases the price of the 2.4mbps connection ?

This is only something BSNL can only answer :-)

More Questions:)

7)What documents did you have to submit at the bsnl office, what forms did you fill up and how much net cash you had to pay to register with modem and without buying modem?

you pay a 1000rs security deposit. if you buy modem the monthly charges for unlimited access is 550 per month, if you rent it it is 750 ( 550+200) per month.

8)How far do you stay from the bsnl tower? Does your speed vary at different locations or is it constant?

As far as I know the nearest tower is around 3 km away.

9)Do you get consistent speeds throught out the day OR is the speed fast at night and bad during day?

pretty much consistent speeds

@john7777:By anychance do you know if EV-DO is enabled in Muvattupuzha :S ?

not sure... you could check with your BSNL office

Thanks Bro,,
The page has something related to wht i hadbeen looking for,

Actually my laptop is a Dell 1420,which i bought outside india,
It has a dedicated mini PCI slot for the EVDO card and a sim slot underneath the battery pack-its more or less same as the UIM-user identification module on BSNL EVDO device)

I think,i have no other option but to use the USB EVDO device

FYI :see the link below
Feasability of swaping Vzw with Sprint EVDO miniPCI card : EVDOforums.com

Since the UIM slot is vacant on BSNL supplied device,may be the network connection settings are hardened in to the device at the time of shipment;avoiding the need of a SIM/UIM in the socket connect to the network

so thre is no possiblity of an alternative like the one mentioned in the link,

If somebody think that they know more on this subject,please put in their opinion

Regs
Cynthiya

I guess the UIM Slot in the laptop could be for the inbuilt EVDO/CDMA modem that Dell have integrated. In the united states, laptops typically comes along with a 3G embedded module.

hip hip horray for john bro...thx for answering the questions.Today I went to Bsnl office and the man there gave me Dataone Broadband form, said its the Wireless Internet Connection that you are looking for. :-( bhubhu..when it will come here ?

Thanks john for your replies.. I am going to get the connection soon. Hope, this thread is made sticky, as it contains all the information a newbie needs to know.

Thanks john for your replies.. I am going to get the connection soon. Hope, this thread is made sticky, as it contains all the information a newbie needs to know.

yup definitely...but I think BSNL EVDO should be made a another section because here it gets mixed up with Dataone and it becomes difficult to look for the correct thread. :confused:

Reply in RED

To the Users and experts of EV-DO,

I am from Thiruvananthapuram.
My current ISP is Asianet Dataline and BSNL mobile Edge.

I would like to change to BSNL's EV-DO network as it is economical and mobile

I would like to know

[*]1. Whether I can use any other EV-DO card from USA for BSNL?
[/list]You may check with local BSNL office. I would guess there would be compatibility issues.

[*]2. The coverage in Thiruvananthapuram district? Where are the EV-DO towers in Thiruvananthapuram district?
[/list]If you are in the city, I guess you should be covered. But it is better to check before you buy. Im not sure about where the towers are.

[*]3. Do BSNL charge extra amount on roaming as in the case of BSNL Mobile internet?
[/list]The last time I heard there is state wide roaming free of cost. In the major towns ( this includes places like thiruvalla) you would be EVDO, on the highways and small towns you would be on CDMA 1x. What I have told was they would soon be having plans to offer national roaming. So you go to Bangalore or Delhi, you could be connected all the time :-) and typically operators DONOT charge for data roaming.

[*]4. Does BSNL also block ports as in the case of Airtel? so that we cannot access certain websites and PSP portals and torrent sharing downloads

[/list]Im not aware of any port blocking. may be some one else in the forum could chime in.

Kindly reply at the earliest.

Dr.Ajith :)
www.drajith.com

yup definitely...but I think BSNL EVDO should be made a another section because here it gets mixed up with Dataone and it becomes difficult to look for the correct thread. :confused:

My suggestion is some one create a separate section on wireless broad band. With sub sections on CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GPRS etc. I don't know how to do that here.

WOW. This is awesome. Btw do you get the EVDO signal everywhere in Cochin? In which other cities in Kerala is the EVDO signal available?

EVDO covers major pockets of Cochin. Let me give you my experience to tell the extend of coverage. I was driving to the nedumbassery airport form Palarivattom. I was pretty much on EVDO till I took the turn to airport at Attani. And I would think that signal was coming form Kalamassery :-). You could double check with BSNL on the coverage. But my take is the city is covered, outside the city you hand-down to CDMA 1x which offers peak of 144kbps. So if some way you are connected pretty much throughout the state.

Hi all.. I went to BSNLs office today to enquire about EV-DO. As you all said they told its available where ever CDMA coverage is there but told we can't use it outside the state. Now, I am not fully satisfied with that answer. What's the problem if we use it outside the state where there is EV-DO/CDMA coverage(Reliance and Tata are providing national roaming). Like I take a card from Bangalore and use it in Coimbatore(Both are EV-DO enabled). So it should be possible isn't?Any body here have tried using it outside their state? Please comment.

damn. they need to launch it in gurgaon circle. they would easily get a lakh customers from corporate sector :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back