• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 15,533

cyanide

lol
ISP
Fivenet
This seems to have started recently.

Fivenet seems to be injecting a small javascript code into random webpages to show floating horizontal ads (468x60) usually on the bottom left or right. I checked the page source, the script is being loaded from the IP 202.177.240.202 which is a Fivenet IP. The script loads another script which has the actual code for positioning and floating. http://202.177.240.202/float.js

The ads are loaded from multiple sources. The last one was from
http://ad.adserverplus.com/st?ad_type=ad&ad_size=468x60&section=2565550

Here is the actual code being injected into random html pages:

Code:
When I called Fivenet to speak to a Network administrator/engineer, the joker on the line told me that they don't employ any network engineers or administrators. Then told me to contact my local cable operator who would co-ordinate with them and sort the matter out. My cable operator is a nice guy, so I will probably not have a problem sorting the matter out if Fivenet actually accepts that they are resorting to such bullshit.

Regardless, thought I'd inform you guys that Fivenet bastards are doing something so cheap. Honestly, I've lost all faith in them and feel that they are probably also logging all my traffic and/or requests and will sell everything off to an advertiser for free, without my consent. Secondly, I do not trust their staff to even keep this information safe, so IF they do get attacked for whatever reason, all the info will be in the hands of a completely irrelevant third-party who will have fun with your information. I'm sure he'll still thank Fivenet for their stupidity and greed.

At this point, I'll try and put the offending IP in my hosts file and see if it changes anything. If it doesn't, you have been informed. Talk to your cable operator or Fivenet and fight over this. I am already.

Cheers.

edited for myr

Last edited:
ya i noticed it yesterday. weird ads popped up on some pages and when u scroll the ad moves along the page blocking the view. totally sucks. This is downright cheap method to make a few bucks.Adblock does block the ad but i still see a floating rectangle.

Just blocked the IP through IPTables on my router. Have multiple devices in my home, so hosts file will be impractical for me. Bastards.For anyone who is still using Fivenet DNS servers, I'd recommend switching to something else for their DNS requests. Either OpenDNS or Google will work fine. 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 for OpenDNS.They also tunnel all http traffic through a transparent Squid proxy. Am using an SSH tunnel through one of my VPS so as to not let them sniff any traffic. DNS requests also forwarded through the SSH tunnel.**** you Fivenet.

Not DNS hijacking. Deep packet inspection. And yes, illegal. Even website owners can sue for copyright violation for displaying ads into their content and making money off it.

Not DNS hijacking. Deep packet inspection. And yes, illegal. Even website owners can sue for copyright violation for displaying ads into their content and making money off it.

CMIIW , but deep packet inspection is just a scanning method for shaping traffic , how does that inject scripts into webpages .. I am just curious ,thats all.

If they are doing a DPI they they would simply find a HTTP GET request in a packet and inject the required javascript code and forward the packet to u.

That is exactly what they are doing. Any form of injected advertising is still deep packet inspection.Please call Fivenet and complain regarding this. Most clueless users will consider this a regular ad and ignore it. Do not do that. You are paying for your Internet, there is no reason for them to show any advertising to a paying customer. This is a slippery slope and will only get worse if not fought.

Back