Found Solution for Jio Fiber Gateway Slowness over 5 GHz Band

There are many threads here where many people acknowledged the slowness of the Jio Fiber router over time (one of the threads I could find now is here). However, there were no working solutions till now.
I found a solution and am sharing the same here. I decided to keep it in a new thread for ease of tracking.

The Problem:

The Jio Fiber Gateway (router) especially model JCO4032 has an issue with 5GHz band WiFi where we can see slowness over time. The discussion of this issue can be found in one of the threads here.

Solution:

Technical Details:

The Jio Fiber Gateway offers the facility to configure multiple profiles and access points.
There are six profiles and access points ranging from Jio_1 to Jio_6 and ap1 to ap6.
As per my observation Profiles Jio_1 to Jio_3 and APs ap1 to ap3 are for 2.4 GHz band, Profiles Jio_4 to Jio_6 and APs ap4 to ap6 are for 5 GHz band.
By default Jio_1 with ap1 is used for the 2.4 GHz band and Jio_4 with ap4 for 5 GHz band when Jio installs the broadband at your place (at least in my case).
The current firmware version on the router I'm using: SRCMTF1_JCO4032_R2.52.1

Fix:

The fix would be to change to a different Profile and Access Point for the 5 GHz band.
I disabled the 5 GHz AP on Jio_4 with ap4 and enabled the same on Jio_6 with ap6.
To do the same,
  1. Login to Jiocentrum
  2. Navigate to Network > Wireless > Profiles
  3. Change the SSID for the profile Jio_6 and set the password. I prefer to append Profile number at the end to identify which profile is active just by looking at the SSID
    fFLcuqM.png

Right-click on it to edit and then save it
  4. Navigate to the Access Points tab, disable the ap4, and enable the ap6 (Right-click and select Enable and Disable to do the same). Also, confirm the mapping between ap6 and Jio_6.
    6x2QL3J.png
  5. Restart the router
This will solve the problem.
I don't know if this model is using dedicated radios for each of the APs or if it's just a VNET inside, I welcome anyone with more technical knowledge on this router to confirm. However, this trick solved the slowness for me.

I have been testing this for the last 3 months and never witnessed the slowness again. I recommend everyone who is facing this issue to try this trick and confirm if it worked for them.

Ohh, yeah I was facing the problem, and as there were no solution I am using a Mikrotik dual band AP. I which you found that earlier.

Back