Goods & Services Tax (GST) Updates

I fail to understand if GST is making life easy for businesses then why isnt state or central Government coming out with analogy with VAT, CST, excise etc.

Like one simple table.

In VAT you were charged 6% tax - now in GST you are charged 5% OR 18% tax.
In VAT tax payment date was 21st of next month, in GST new date is XYZ
In VAT you filed form 231 - now you file Form XYZ.

Thats all one wants to know.

If GST is simpler than steps should be even less. But that does not appear to be so.

I remember two years back in college, my commerce professor tried to explain the GST concept to us for 2 hours but we were not sure convinced what or how it helps us consumers. I remember she kept on saying tax will only be paid only once so it'll help consumers but I honestly doubt she understands the concept herself. Ultimately she gave up explaining it to us

I remember she kept on saying tax will only be paid only once so it'll help consumers
as a consumer, only the final price matters to me. and based on what i am reading, i am not seeing many things that are going to get cheap after gst is applied.

I respect Amitabh for his acting and other skills.

But I realized Amitabh may do anything for money .. when he launched KRK's website and said nice things about him.

as a consumer, only the final price matters to me. and based on what i am reading, i am not seeing many things that are going to get cheap after gst is applied.
IIRC it was supposed to prevent double taxation happening between production and retail so that middlemen may save money and pass on that benefit to consumers.

Source

rare honest admission by a bjp politician. people do not have equal rights in india. different types of people require different laws and now different taxes.

Back