Google Android 4.3

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 205
  • Views Views 14,019
Right. Battery life is pretty impressive after the update.

Seems we 're straying from where we actually started. We were talking about bootload unlock not required to install custom recovery. I still stand in my point. Bootload unlocking is not necessary to install recovery. As it get installed in the ram area. It works similar to Win PE ,Linux Live ... What you said above is known to most of the powerusers. Unlocking bootloader will erase every user cutomization of apps they had installed in the internal memory. As i have already said. Try this if you have any old andriod phone. First unroot,lock the bootloader. Install any launcher app from the mkt. Unlock the bootloader. You 'll get struck in the bootloop. It's fixable obviously ...
A locked bootloader would allow you to access any of the partitions on the phone. Installing a recovery is just out of question. All you can do with locked boot loader is root. Period.

So you are very sure we can flash custom recovery on a bootloader locked Nexus 4 just because we can do it on Xperia phones?
Here's a Google Developers link which you can go through. Highlighting the important part below.
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Instructions
You will find these files useful if you have used the Android Open-Source Project, flashed custom builds on your device, and wish to return that device to its factory state.
In order to use these files, you need to have the fastboot tool in your PATH. That tool is compiled as part of every configuration of the Android Open-Source Project and is the tool used to flash custom builds on your device. On GNU/Linux systems, this also implies that you have configured USB access as mentioned in the machine setup instructions.Your device needs to be in fastboot mode, with the bootloader unlocked. The relevant key combinations and commands are documented on the page about building for devices.
You need to uncompress each download before use, which creates a new directory for that exact download. That directory contains a ./flash-all.sh script, which handles the various operations, installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system. Note that this operation deletes all user data by default.After restoring a factory image, it is recommended that you lock the bootloader, for security reasons.
There's no way of flashing a recovery on a Nexus 4 other than fastboot mode. You need to understand that every hardware has it's own method of flashing. Xperia can be done using the method mentioned by you above. The same was the case for my old Motorola Defy+, though my previous Motorola Photon 4G required bootloader unlock to flash recovery via fastboot.
So much of OT discussion here :nonchalance:

Yes if you can rewrite the librariesscript. I don't have those phones. But the main idea of unlocking bootloader is to modify the boot partition size, not just to install recovery. Stock roms or stock based roms even aosp would go fine with stock hboot (Either locked or unlocked). But cynogen variants hboot size differs. So we need to unlock the bootloader to make it work. Since cynogen is widely accepted. We go with the idea of unlocking bootloader is necessary for every stuff. I have two phones that i use it only for testing. Samsung Galaxy ace, HTC desire. I haven't unlocked the bootloader of these phones. Still rooted had the recovery installed. Lated i have unlocked the bootloader of the desire to play with the partition size. I may try to rewrite the script to make it work on nexus. If it get it in future ... I also have removed su app from my phones after setting the permission to allow permanently. Which most people think that su app can't be removed. Wth ... I will post the screen if you don't believe. I just don't go with the crowd because it's easy ...

Exactly! You could install stock based aospcustom roms that fits in that stock hboot. Simply by rooting & installing recovery. It doesn't require modifyingunlocking boot partition size. But if you wanna install cynogen based roms that requires modifyingreplacing the hboot.img file. That's where you require bootloader unlocking ... That how most people understand like some roms work with locked hboot. The reason is what i said above ...

Back