Help me choose a Linux Distro?

• Thread starter Thread starter alig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 17,332
With Ubuntu, i think ur only option is to use 8.04 and Envy to install nvidia-glx-legacy driver (71.xx).

I remember using this old computer with Ubuntu a few yrs ago, I think It must be Hardy. Anywho I had finally dropped the idea I guess the computer is old now:icry:
I just installed 9.04 on my Laptop, cant live without Linux goodness:p

I had tried installing suse also had the same issue with the NVIDIA driver.
had tried Envy also, but doesnt work.
The basic GUI works on the default Xorg driver but Compiz doesnot work because of the failing NVIDIA drivers.
Sorry for replying late . :grin:

Have you tried the manual install of Nvidia driver (I mean the command way)???

I tried a bit but it got quiet a bit complicated and I gave up, I had to edit xOrg.*** file but was not able to. You see I am still learning the command line interface (Terminal Commands) in linux. I am sure its a lot of fun, I was a big fan of MS-DOS lol:ashamed:
PS - Nice Ubuntu blog man. I think I might follow you up on that :D BTW I am one of the testers of Ubuntu one:bowtoyou:

No need to edit Xorg file. Simply follow this steps.

1. Download latest Nvidia driver from here.

2. Assume that your download is in Home folder.

3. Open Terminal and enter command "sudo sh NVIDIA* --no-x-check"

4. It will start the installation process. Select "No" for download latest Xorg file from website. After the installation, choose "Yes" for automatic update of Xorg file.

You are done.

i think nvidia has its own config tool that can be used to set the settings and save the xorg file... nvidia-config ?

hmm I will try it out and tel you guys what happened. Thanks for the Help!

yes you run as root the command "nvidia-xconfig" to generate a basic working xorg.conf then you can search online for additional settings to manually add in there.also in GNOME or KDE you can run "gksu nvidia-settings" or "kdesu nvidia-settings" to start the GUI settings where you can set things like "sync to vertical blank" (vsync or sync vblank as its known) for a little smoother effects...

Mandriva 2009.1 has nvidia support by default. See a review at this urlh t t p ://osrevolution.com/os-review/mandriva-2009-1-review

No need to edit Xorg file. Simply follow this steps.

1. Download latest Nvidia driver from here.

2. Assume that your download is in Home folder.

3. Open Terminal and enter command \"sudo sh NVIDIA* --no-x-check\"

4. It will start the installation process. Select \"No\" for download latest Xorg file from website. After the installation, choose \"Yes\" for automatic update of Xorg file.

You are done.

Hi I just reinstalled Ubuntu on the Desktop, and tried the above steps but It just hangs at a blank screen on startup. Tried to use recovery mode to fix X. doesnot work, so I had to reinstall.
Any idea what else can be done?

Back