Help me choose a Linux Distro?

• Thread starter Thread starter alig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 17,332
Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get into linux login prompt and try it out.(CTRL+ALT+F7 is GUI mode.)

Hi I just reinstalled Ubuntu on the Desktop, and tried the above steps but It just hangs at a blank screen on startup. Tried to use recovery mode to fix X. doesnot work, so I had to reinstall.
Any idea what else can be done?

Is it installation of Nvidia driver started or not? I mean when the blank screen comes on the screen ( After the installation or beginning the installation).

Is it installation of Nvidia driver started or not? I mean when the blank screen comes on the screen ( After the installation or beginning the installation).

Ok here is the deal. I tried to play around with the bios a little bit. This is an old desktop I am trying to install ubuntu 9.04 on. This is the motherboard MSI Asia ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

I changed the graphics settings to optimal. I am using onboard Geforce4 MX Integrated GPU for Display. After Optimal settings the AGP size was reduced to 64 mb(from 500 mb) and the buffer size was reduced to 32 mb (from 128 mb)
after doing this I did another install and it worked. but now everytime I try to go back and change the display settings from bios and try to increase the shared RAM Ubuntu starts up normally but Display crashes( blank screen) when I try to run Boxee and other graphics intense programs. I am thinking maybe I should try 8.04 LTS, because I remember I was using this same computer with envy without any of these issues.
What do you guys think?

Edit = just checked the computer just crashes at login with wierd patterns on the login screen with changed bios values.

Thanks merc!!! The issue was fixed with my computer. I think it was something to do with the motherboard bios. I had updated it a while back to the latest fimware. I checked out the xorg error log. There was a problem with the memory address (something) when the allocated shared memory for the onboard NVIDIA was > 64 MB. So I restored the gfx settings to the default of the motherboard and everything seems to be working fine now for about 2 weeks now. :thumbsup:

i usually do not try out any distro except for ubuntu coz i run it through Wubi... :(
Does any other Linux like Fedora/Opensuse be installed like Ubuntu in Windows without partitioning HDD?

have not seen any other distribution providing wubi like functionality. but there must be solutions.

Does any other Linux like Fedora/Opensuse be installed like Ubuntu in Windows without partitioning HDD?

Get Vmware. ... hahahahhaha

running inside a VM is a good idea too... but instead of vmware try virtualbox... its the hotness these days :)

Back