Help me choose a Linux Distro?

• Thread starter Thread starter alig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 17,332
Many people say when we do a clean install especially when we update from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10....or migrating from ubuntu to different OS...It is highly recommended to do complete format of a system...Not sure why is is said though...

i am reporting from Ubuntu... not sure what version this is... still getting the hang of it...and so far there have been no problems... looks like i am very late to board the OpenSource wave....

It is highly recommended to do complete format of a system.

saving your home folder is not going to effect much. you can save the home folder even with a clean install. :)

i am reporting from Ubuntu... not sure what version this is... still getting the hang of it...and so far there have been no problems... looks like i am very late to board the OpenSource wave....

Try running in console this command " lsb_release -a " and see the output?

I remember a few months/years ago admin was scared to touch linux now he is giving ubuntu advice like a pro :P

well the home partition tip came handy while i was experimenting with ubuntu installation through partitions. :D

I remember a few months/years ago admin was scared to touch linux now he is giving ubuntu advice like a pro :P

I know Looks like the inner geek is wide awake now lol!!! :D
BTW I have an uncle who came from UK , Hardcore Mac user, I showed him Ubuntu and he was impressed, so I gave him 9.10 Live CD which I got from shipit. The word has been spread!

i did check the version, its Karmic Koala 9.10.Question, do i need to install an anti virus. i have read that it is not needed..AC

neh. antivirus is generally not needed unless you are really unlucky and you manage to install a LINUX MALWARE (OMG!). :D

---------- Post added March 29th, 2010 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was March 28th, 2010 at 11:55 PM ----------

and yeah you are on the latest stable release. next version is coming out in april 2010 :D

firewall is largely a personal decision. definitely if you are on a LAN based internet connectivity.from my experience firewall applications for ubuntu are not as intuitive as the ones available on windows. firestarter is a good GUI based option that you can play around with.

Back