How to measure total bandwidth for multiple computers?

indianarchie

Regular
ISP
MTNL Xpress Non-combo 650 Unltd.
Is there a way to measure internet traffic through all computers on a network? I use a D-Link 2750U router to access the internet. My PC is connected to it through the ethernet cable and my laptop connects to it wirelessly. I need to monitor the amount of internet traffic through both computers - essentially, all traffic that passes through the router itself. I am trying to measure this so I know when I exhaust my monthly bandwidth limit. Currently, I use Netlimiter v2, but it only measures bandwidth on one computer - the PC. Is it possible to monitor the traffic through the router itself or do I need some third party software?

You need some third party hardware or a router that supports one of the WRT variants, such as OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato or Coova.

List of wireless router firmware projects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your router may or may not support custom firmware (it's not listed at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#d-link so, probably not).

fwiw even dd-wrt shows weird usage which does not match wat i actually see even on 1 pc. !! so it isn't perfect.

Or for software based reporting check: BitMeter OS
I use it only on my main computer which consumes most of the bandwidth(> 90%) but i guess it has a server mode as well

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping to find a software solution to this without having to install custom firmware on the router. Apparently (according to the manual), my router supports SNMP. Is it possible to use a monitoring tool that uses this to measure the bandwidth? I enabled SNMP on the router and installed ByteOMeterbut it crashes when trying to detect my router.

Back