How to upgrade to Windows 8 for just Rs. 699

• Thread starter Thread starter dpkrwt123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 325
  • Views Views 31,335
Yes.And it's a formatted pen drive. I have used this trick to install Windows 8 Trial Enterprise edition also.

Yes.

And it's a formatted pen drive. I have used this trick to install Windows 8 Trial Enterprise edition also.

Doesn't make any sense. I'll have to see if it works as it doesn't match the concept of MBR.

A Master Boot Record (MBR) is a special type of boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices like fixed disks or removable drives intended for use with IBM PC-compatible systems and beyond. The MBR holds the information on how the logical partitions, containing file systems, are organized on that medium. Besides that, the MBR functions as an operating system independent chain boot loader in conjunction with each partition's Volume Boot Record (VBR).

Ok. Just read that formatting the flash drive doesn't remove boot sector record from MBR. That's probaby the reason just copying installation files worked for you and you might have used this drive for Windows 7 installation earlier. You have to run the 'diskpart' command with a string 'clean' to remove boot sector information from MBR.

Are you sure about this? How can a pen drive boot if there is no boot record written to the MBR ? Maybe the pen drive you tried was used as a Windows 7 install media before and probably had a bootrecord written to it's MBR.

I got a 7 year Old Laptop and still it have option to boot from USB Drive. Infact laptop's DVD drive is not working since last 4 years and I am booting via Pen Drive only.

I got a 7 year Old Laptop and still it have option to boot from USB Drive. Infact laptop's DVD drive is not working since last 4 years and I am booting via Pen Drive only.

Well, I am not at all talking about option of Boot from USB availability but talking about making a USB drive bootable. Unless the MBR of a drive is written with boot information, it cannot boot. And just copying files to pen drive cannot make it bootable. For making drives bootable, we need to use some tool which can write to MBRs.

Some info here:
http://www.techtree.com/content/features/1596/how-to-create-a-usb-bootable-installer-drive-for-windows-8.html

Check the Step III, which is essential to write bootsector information to the flash drive.

Don't know but it's a new pen drive and purchased a week ago.

Just tried copying installation files to an empty pen drive and it didn't boot.

Copied to ROOT dir right?will add screenshot shortly. (Installation from PD)

Copied to ROOT dir right?

will add screenshot shortly. (Installation from PD)

Yes, copied to the root directory.